Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

tagged interface between two foundry MLX's...no FDP info

Just curious if anyone else has seen this or knows if I'm missing something simple here.

I have two MLX32's in my network core and while they are seeing FDP info from smaller switches connected downstream, they are not seeing info from each other.  The interface connecting them for now is a standard 10Gig interface that is tagged in a slew of VLANs (NOT VLAN 1 though...VLAN1 is empty).  Most VLANs have associated VE interfaces, if that matters.

FDP is running on the interface:

SSH@xx.yy#show fdp interface e x/y
  Sending FDP packets every 60 seconds
  Holdtime is 180 seconds
GigabitEthernetX/Y is up, line protocol is up, and FDP is enabled
  Encapsulation ethernet

SSH@ww.zz#show fdp interface e x/y
  Sending FDP packets every 60 seconds
  Holdtime is 180 seconds
GigabitEthernetX/Y is up, line protocol is up, and FDP is enabled
  Encapsulation ethernet

Any reason why xx.yy would not show up on ww.zz's FDP neighbor table and vice versa?

CMD
Contributor

Re: tagged interface between two foundry MLX's...no FDP info

Kelly,

I assume the downstream switches are seeing FDP information from the MLX's?

New Contributor

Re: tagged interface between two foundry MLX's...no FDP info

Yes, the downstream switches see the MLX's in their FDP neighbor tables and vice versa.  I also noticed that if I run "show fdp traffic", we have an incrementing error counter.

The interfaces connecting the two MLXes are tagged only in all the vlans they are assigned to.  The only vlan they are in where they are untagged is 4095, the system vlan.  This is not unique to this interface though.  The other interfaces connected to the downstream switches are tagged only except 4095 as well, so I don't think it requires an untagged vlan association to work properly.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.