Ethernet Switches & Routers

Frequent Visitor

how do I configure a port that can pass voice and data vlan in one. A voip phone will be connected

I need to configure a port that will provide voice and data vlans.  A voip phone will be connected there and a computer connected to the phone.

Brocadian

Re: how do I configure a port that can pass voice and data vlan in one. A voip phone will be connected

You need to make that port at dual-mode VLAN. Configuring a tagged port as dual-mode allows it to accept and transmit both tagged and untagged traffic at the same time. For example, lets connect a phone and a laptop to a port 1/1/21. This port is running in dual mode having a tagged membership in VLAN 20 (phone) and untagged membership in VLAN 10 (laptop).

Brocade (config)# vlan 10

Brocade (config-vlan-10)# tagged eth 1/1/21

Brocade (config-vlan-10)# vlan 20

Brocade (config-vlan-20)# tagged eth 1/1/21

Brocade (config-vlan-20)# int eth 1/1/21

Brocade (config-if-e1000-1/1/21)# dual-mode 10 

This will make VLAN 10 as untagged for that port. You can also add VLAN 20 as voice VLAN.

New Contributor

Re: how do I configure a port that can pass voice and data vlan in one. A voip phone will be connected

I am confused about a small bit, if he wants the data vlan to be untagged, why did we set the port under vlan data to be tagged?

this is confusing as in cisco, we set mode access to data, and mode voice vlan to voice, meaning untagged for data and tagged voice which isn't the case here.

Brocadian

If you want use the same port for tagged (phone) and untagged (laptop), you will have to make port under both vlans as tagged and mark the laptop vlan as untagged. Only tagged ports can be configured as dual-mode ports. So, we need the set the port under data vlan also as tagged. When you add the command dual-mode 10, the port will know that anything that it receives with vlan id 10 should be treated as untagged.

New Contributor

Thanks a lot!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.