Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor
davidengel

hitless-failover

I'm curious about hitless-failover. I have 4 stacked switches. I recently ran the "show stack" command to check the status of the stack. I received the following message:

Standby u3 - No hitless failover. Reason: hitless-failover not configured

Current stack management MAC is 0024.38c1.a000

Note: no "stack mac" config. My MAC will change after failover.

It also told me I have one active, 1 standby, and 2 member roles. That seems right to me. The active role has a priority of 128 the other 3 have 0. At any rate, my question is this, does the message of "no hitless failover" above mean that if the active controller switch fails it won't failover to the standby switch? Also, is there any Brocade documentation that explains this feature in more detail? I can't find anything.

Thanks!

P.S. - I did run the "hitless-failover enable" command and now it shows:

Standby u3 - protocols ready, can failover

Current stack management MAC is 0024.38c1.a000

Note: no "stack mac" config. My MAC will change after failover.

I'm assuming that means it's ready to failover now in the case of hardware failure, etc. ?

Occasional Contributor
sknobloc

Re: hitless-failover

Hi David,

if "hitless-failover enabled" is not configured and the master switch dies, the standby takes over. But this can come along with a reboot of the remaining stack. The same can happen, if the "old" master comes back online.

So "hitless-failover" prevents the remaining stack members from rebooting, in case the master switch goes down or comes back online.

Regards,

Stefan

Occasional Contributor
davidengel

Re: hitless-failover

Stefan,

Perfect explanation! Thanks for the quick response!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.