Ethernet Switches & Routers

Brocadian

can we use same VRRP-E VRID for both IPV4 and IPV6 subnets in a Router?any alternative with VRRP?

[ Edited ]

can we use same VRRP-E VRID for both IPV4 and IPV6 subnets in a Router?any alternative with VRRP?

I think VRRP and VRRP-E can use at a time with IPV4 and IPV6.

Can any one suggest?

Contributor

Re: can we use same VRRP-E VRID for both IPV4 and IPV6 subnets in a Router?any alternative with VRRP?

Brocadian

Re: can we use same VRRP-E VRID for both IPV4 and IPV6 subnets in a Router?any alternative with VRRP?

VRRP-E with IPV4 & IPV6 is not mentioned in the document i think 

Contributor

Yes, I noticed... That is why I suggest trying it to find out what the results are.  Nothing like a proof of concept to figure out how they will play together.

Brocade Moderator

Hello,

According to the NetIron Routing Guide below, You cannot reuse the same VRID across IPv4 VRRP-E and IPv6 VRRP-E, if they are in the same broadcast domain.

http://www.brocade.com/content/dam/common/documents/content-types/configuration-guide/netiron-05800b-routingguide.pdf

This could be due to how the virtual MAC is created.

Although VRRP is not mentioned, Brocade still does not recommend reuse of the same VRID across IPv6 VRRP or IPv4 VRRP in the same broadcast domain. as per FastIron Routing Guide below

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/configuration-guide/FI_08030_L3/GUID-A712C56B-1939-4453-8075-71008DA660D4.html

You may attempt to replicate the VRRP VRID and see how it behaves. But I wouldn't do it for VRRP-E

Regards,

Os

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.