Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

Which icx-6610 firmware version supports qsfp-sfp+ breakout cables? Is there an extra license reqd.

..and how many can be used? 2 breakout cables (makes 8 sfp+ connections) or 4 (makes 16 sfp+ connections)?

New Contributor

Re: Which icx-6610 firmware version supports qsfp-sfp+ breakout cables? Is there an extra license reqd.

[ Edited ]
Just an update, Apparently the icx-6610 doesn't yet support any breakout cables on any of the 40ge ports. This might be enabled at some stage but there's not any timeline for it yet.
As I understand it, two of the 40ge ports are 4x10ge ports and two are 1x40ge, I assume this refers to the 10ge-kr standard but not sure.
If anyone can add any further info that would be great, the icx-6610 would fit the build perfectly, except it doesn't support sufficient expansion without the breakout option, just about every other switch I've found that has 40ge ports, supports the breakout cables.

If this is of any interest to anyone else, please let brocade know. I would like to purchase several of these units but can't unless brocade provide a timeline on the firmware development to enable breakout cables.
New Contributor

Re: Which icx-6610 firmware version supports qsfp-sfp+ breakout cables? Is there an extra license reqd.

I am still waiting for a breakout ethernet option in icx6610 :-(

Brocadian

The 40G connections are only for stacking, they cannot be used for uplinks and thus breakout is not planned for the 6610.

Contributor

I think in ICX swithes QSFP port is only used for stacking purpose only.

Umair,  The 7450 and 7750 use 40G QSFP for both stacking and uplinks. Only the 6610 is restricted to stacking only on QSFP.

Note that the 7450 can also be stacked via 10G connections as well.

Contributor

Hi simon, thanks for information, i didn't know that. and yes, we are also using ICX 7450 10G ports for uplinks as well as stacking.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.