Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

Virtualizeing A Conventional Data center

Hi All,

I am tasked with comeing up with a VMWare  based solution for a very convetional data center, The virtualization would be on VMWare and I am looking towards  for  deploying 2 VDX 6720's to facilitate VMMotion and ISCSI base storage access. I have attached a draft schematic of the existing topology and the planned new topology and would much appreiate your comments to enhance the same...the number of server to be virtualised are around 12 and there would be 2 WMWare servers in the final deployment

The concern the customer has on the maintance of the security contexts of the servers and also as to the routeing would work across the VDX 6720's..

Thanks in Advance..

Revantha

Sri Lanka

Valued Contributor

Re: Virtualizeing A Conventional Data center

Looking at the specs the VDX supports routing and interoperability with other vendors.

The concern the customer has on the maintance of the security contexts of the servers

In what context? Is it the SAN LAN convergence? Firewall?

Proposed solution could be dropped into one off the security levels as they exist if you want to.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Dion,

Thanks for the response, the customer is looking at mainlining the same security conetxts (security zones) off the  firewall for the virtualised servers...

thanks in advance..

revantha

Valued Contributor

Security principals you assign/design for physical machines apply to virtuals as well, no difference on that parts.

How many security zones are you planning to visualize? If it's 2 or three you could opt to install a CNA/NIC per zone/per esx host. Otherwise you can trunk the vlans to your ESX hosts and tag them there.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Dion,

Thanks for the update well there would be around 3 security zones all together... could you please elaborate on the trunking the VLANS for the ESX host and the tagging process..

thanks,

revantha

Valued Contributor

Well Ethernet is not my strong point, but a trunk is basically a connection that carries all/multiple VLAN's.

You can use ESX to assgn VM's to the appropiate VLAN.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.