Ethernet Switches & Routers

Video: ICX Stacking Configuration

by on ‎06-20-2016 07:39 AM - edited on ‎03-20-2017 09:23 AM by Community Manager (781 Views)

In this video we cover how to configure a stack using Brocade campus switches

Video Transcript:

0:05- This the Brocade Campus feature
0:07 - explainer series. I'm Terry Henry. Today we’re gonna have a
0:09 - quick look at how to setup stacking. In particular
0:13 - on the 7250 series ICX platform. So the first thing is the base model may not
0:20 - come with the 10 gig license. So depending on how you purchase it from
0:23 - the factory it may have no 10Gig license on it and just have to eight
0:29 - 1Gig SFT ports. It could have the two port 10Gig license or could have all
0:33 - eight ports enable for 10gig. But in order to enable stacking that has to be
0:37 - on 10Gig ports so you have to enable a 10Gig license. If you don't have one
0:41 - already and you should be able to see that through the show license command. So
0:47 - In my case I actually have a trial license on here but I have a two port 10Gig license
0:51 - on this device. And so if you get that out of the factory then the default
0:58 - ports, ports 1/2/1 & 1/2/3 will already be enabled for 10Gig and you’ll be ready to go.
1:04 - But if you add the license in the field after devices already booted you may have to
1:09 - go into those ports and configure them for 10Gig because they'll be configured
1:14 - for 1Gig by default. If we do a show run here will see that 1/2/1 and 1/2/3 do
1:24 - not show up only 1/2/2, 1/2/4,5,6,7 and 8 as 1,000 full. So those are set for
1:31 - 10Gig and we know they are because they're not showing up as an
1:35 - alternate from the default. So those are ready to go and that's where I have my
1:39 - stack cables, well not stack cables but twinax cables connected between the two
1:44 - devices. So the next thing I need to do on one and only one device is I need to go
1:50 - in a config T and enable it for stacking. So we’ll do a config T and we're going to do a stack
1:57 - enable here. And it says stack is enabled this unit is actively participating in
2:01 - stacking and optical monitoring is not available for 1/2/1 & 1/2/3 that is an
2:07 - effective stacking optical monitoring does not work on those stack ports. So
2:13 - the next thing we need to do, we can exit out of here,
2:17 - we can do write mem, you don't have to. So the next thing you do is you do a
2:22 - stack secure setup command and the stack secure setup is just gonna go out
2:33 - and it's going to discover the stack for you. So it's gonna see all the devices
2:40 - it can see. So it came back and it says there's a ring topology, so it knows
2:45 - there's a ring. One hop away there's a 7250 going upstream and one hop away
2:53 - there's 7250 going downstream. Those are the same MAC address because it's the same
2:57 - switch. But if you had you know 2,3,4,…12 switches in the stack it would have
3:02 - discovered all of them. It would have showed you all those devices and their
3:07 - MAC address and said, do you want to do this. So in this case I'm gonna say yes I
3:11 - do want to do this. I accept that topology and so then it's asking me if I accept
3:18 - the unit ID, so I can go in and I can change unit ID’s. So for example
3:22 - before I stack enabled I could force them to be particular unit
3:28 - ID’s. For the most part I don't need to do that, it's just gonna put them in the
3:32 - order that it discovered them, so 1,2,3,4,5,etcetera.
3:36 - So I'm going to accept that default and so it now force’s an election and it's
3:46 - going to reboot unit 2. So it's going to basically add that into the stack by
3:56 - by blowing the config away and rebooting it and then I will see those
4:01 - interfaces as the unit number / module number / port number. So unit 1 will
4:08 - be you know 1/1/1 unit 2 will be 2/1/1 etcetera. So the other thing I
4:16 - can do is set a priority so if I go back and show run here I'm now going to see I
4:24 - the stack enable, I see my stack ports here which I can change if I need
4:29 - to. I see a stack MAC and I also see hitless failover enable, so that
4:34 - command and the stack MAC those are automatically put in as of 8.0.20 prior
4:43 - to that you had to go in and set those up if you wanted the stack master
4:47 - to hitlessly failover in the event that the master
4:51 - failed. So once those are in then the stack MAC is not going to change when
4:57 - the master changes so devices don't have to rearp and it's not going to cause any
5:01 - network disruption when that happens. The other thing we can do is go in and
5:06 - change make a priority. So there's a priority of 128 on this device I can go
5:12 - in and change its priority by default the priority 0 on a device of the
5:16 - highest priority wins the election to be the master. So because I ran the secure
5:21 - setup from this device it makes me the high priority, but if I wanted
5:26 - someone else to be the priority or I wanted you know someone else to be the
5:29 - next best priority I could go in and change those priority commands.
5:34 - So the second unit has finished rebooting at this point and is now a
5:40 - member of stack. So if we do it show stack we will now see that new member has
5:46 - joined. So we see two units in the stack now and so this is the active this is
5:54 - the unit I'm on. Here's his MAC address he has a high priority as I mentioned
5:58 - before and he's local which means that I'm directly connected and then I have
6:03 - unit 2 which is a member
6:06 - although he is about to be converted to stand-by his a parody of zero and he's
6:14 - remote which means I'm not directly connected. And here's the active topology so I
6:19 - see that that my port 1/2/3 is connected 2/2/3 and
6:27 - and my 1/2/1 is connected to 2/2/1 on the other
6:32 - side. There is no standby at the point I ran that command, but then since I ran
6:38 - that command elected as standby so it waits for about a minute after it
6:44 - adds a device in the stack before it elects a standby unit. So here we see that we
6:51 - now have an active and standby as opposed to prior we had an active and a
6:55 - member. So then it will learn other protocols and be ready in 21 seconds.
7:03 - So it should be ready by now. Now we look at the running-config, now we see
7:09 - both units, stack unit one with here's our priority 128 so this is the unit
7:14 - were on and here's our stack unit two
7:17 - with no priority, so he's using the default priority of zero. So I now have all of
7:24 - the ports at my disposal so I can now not only go into unit ones ports and
7:32 - configure them but I can also configure unit two ports. So for example I go
7:36 - interface E 1/1/1 which is a port on unit one of course so its unit
7:43 - module port
7:47 - and then I can also if I wanted to go in and configure to 2/1/1
7:54 - would be a port on unit two module 1 port 1. Anyway so that's it
8:01 - and good luck!