Ethernet Switches & Routers

Video: Configuring Static Link Aggregation Groups (LAGs)

by on ‎06-20-2016 07:47 AM - edited on ‎03-20-2017 09:37 AM by Community Manager (649 Views)

This video will show you how to configure static Link Aggregation Groups (LAGs) on Brocade campus switches.

Video Transcript:

0:00 – This is a brocade campus feature explainer series I'm Terry Henry this

0:03 – time around we're going to look at static link aggregation in particular on

0:07 – the ICX platform so there's a few different types of link aggregation

0:15 – so when we create a lag here we need to give it a name so I descriptive name is

0:20 – always good

0:21 – some To7250-2 so the next time you look at this configuration you'll know

0:26 – what you're trying to achieve if you if you put in the destination as the name

0:30 – but that's completely up to you can call it blue or red or one or whatever

0:34 – you want to call it and then you have a few different options you have a dynamic

0:38 – link aggregation which is covered in another video in the series

0:43 – you have a keep-alive link aggregation group which is used in exchange for udld

0:50 – in a multi-vendor environment which is it one port lag for all intensive

0:54 – purposes and lastly we have a static so statics really should only be used in

1:00 – the event that dynamic is not available because the remote and does not support

1:05 – lacp or 802.3ad that is very rare but there's still some

1:10 – legacy gear out there that does not support dynamic lag so in some cases you

1:15 – are stuck with statics. So the downside of statics of course is there is no

1:20 – health checking mechanism it doesn't use lacp and so if the other end is not

1:25 – configured or misconfigured or miss cabled you can cause a loop through the

1:31 – network because static doesn't care what the other end wants to do so as soon as

1:37 – you deploy the static lag

1:39 – it's going to come up and it's going to start sending packets down all of the

1:43 – available links whether the other end is misconfigured or not configured it

1:47 – doesn't care

1:48 – so because spanning tree treats this entire lag as a single entity spanning

1:54 – tree will also not catch a loop because it's not going to listen for packets

1:59 – coming back on its own

2:00 – port members of the same lag so it anyway

2:04 – we're going to call this static

2:06 – and so we need to add the ports

2:10 – we need to add a primary port and we need to deploy it just like a dynamic so

2:14 – there are other options here that you can set if you wish keys and things but

2:18 – for the most part we're just going to add the ports

2:22 – so in this case we're going to say ports Ethernet 1/2/1 and

2:26 – Ethernet 1/2/3

2:28 – I could also do a range there I could say 1/2/1 to 1/2/3 but

2:33 – we were just using those to which is our 10 gig ports between the two switches

2:38 – we need to assign a primary port here and there is no Ethernet here it's just

2:43 – primary and whatever you want to make that primary so it doesn't really matter

2:46 – it's up to you 1/2/3 will make our primary in this case

2:50 – and lastly we're going to deploy it so in a real production environment

2:55 – you don't want to deploy it and then go and configure the other end and take

2:59 – your time you want to have both sides configured and do the deploy you know

3:03 – relatively at the same time

3:06 – so anyway so I deploy and it says it's now successfully deployed so if I do a

3:10 – show lag here I can see my lag so this is my leg

3:16 – To7250-2 it's static and it's deployed

3:21 – here's my ports here's the port counts in my primary port its hash based and so

3:26 – the ports are up and forwarding right full 10 gig

3:29 – it's not be VLAN tagged it's on VLAN 1 and it's untagged but it doesn't care the fact

3:35 – that the other end is not yet been configured is irrelevant to this device

3:40 – it just brings it up and as long as long as that port is up physically then

3:45 – it'll start load balancing your sessions down both of those links if we look at a

3:50 – show interface for interface e 1/2/1

3:55 – so we see that port is up and up and then we can also see it's a member of an

4:00 – active link 1/2/1 1/2/3 with a primary of 1/2/3 and then it's part of the

4:07 – configured link right

4:09 – so again if I want to shut down ports

4:15 – I would do that from the lag if I want to shut down the whole lag then I can go

4:19 – into the primary port so interface e 1/2/3

4:24 – if I do a disable here then it's going to shut down the whole lag so if I do a

4:28 – show lag the whole lag goes into a disabled State

4:33 – but if I want to shut down individual ports I would do that for the lag so

4:36 – let me enable that go in go back into the into the lag so lag

4:44 – To7250-2 and then I can do it

4:49 – disable Ethernet 1/2/1 for example and it will just disable that so

4:58 – show lag shows me that 1/2/1 is disabled and 1/2/3 so if I want

5:04 – to disable or enable individual ports within the lag then I would do that in

5:10 – the lag but if I wanted to shut down the whole lag for whatever reason I would do

5:14 – that in the physical interface of the primary port which is going to shut down

5:18 – all the ports in the lag regards to how many ports are ok so the other end

5:25 – configuration is identical so there's no reason to show you that but that is the

5:29 – basics and again this should really as a best practice only be used in the event

5:34 – that dynamic lags are not available to you

5:37 – ok that's it thanks for joining