Ethernet Switches & Routers

Video: Collecting a SupportSave

by on ‎06-20-2016 07:47 AM - edited on ‎03-20-2017 09:22 AM by Community Manager (520 Views)

In this video we'll show you how How to collect and customize a SupportSave file from Brocade campus switches.

Video Transcript:

0:00 – Hi all welcome to the Brocade campus feature explainer series I'm Terry

0:03 – Henry today we're going to have a quick look at the support save command so

0:09 – supportsave is very similar to show tech-support with a couple of exceptions

0:14 – one in support save you can create custom or you can add custom commands

0:20 – on to the one of the output where show tech-support you're stuck with whatever

0:25 – is in that in the tech support and the second benefit is you can either display

0:32 – this so you can send it to the console like a show tech but better

0:37 – you can send it to a tftp server and then take those files from the tftp and

0:42 – send them off to TAC so either way but this is a more robust command and

0:48 – then show tech-support but they both have their play certainly

0:51 – so if we do a support save now and hit ? here we have a few options here under

1:02 – support save so you can do you can do it all and do although you can do core you

1:08 – can do you know infrastructure layer 2 layer 3 operating system platform at

1:15 – SPX so switchport extender or system commands

1:19 – generally you want to do all so let's just let's just pick one for here so

1:24 – we'll just say core and then you're going to send it out to a to a tftp

1:30 – server address right

1:32 – actually before I do that what we could do is we could do say all and then we

1:39 – have the option here of doing display so why do you display

1:43 – it's actually going to send it to the console right so you would need to

1:47 – capture the console just like you would do with the show tech-support so we

1:51 – could do that way

1:53 – let it run through all of that it takes you know 10 15 seconds depending on the

1:59 – chassis you right if you've got a fully loaded 32 slot NetIron

2:03 – it's gonna take a long time to run this command but you know on a small ICX here

2:07 – it took what 11 seconds to run that command

2:09 – and so not really a big deal humanly readable if you want to do it that way

2:14 – you could also add a custom command to it if you wanted to or or many custom

2:19 – commands

2:20 – so for example let's see we could do support save list custom commands and so

2:28 – here's our custom commands, here’s our index here and here is the command right so you can

2:33 – have up to 32 custom commands added on to the end of that supports a command

2:38 – but in this case we're just going to run it default will output it to a tftp

2:42 – server and we'll see what happens so we'll do a support save

2:49 – excuse me and then we'll do a all and then the IP address right so

2:55 – 192.168.1.19 is my pc in this case which is running tftp server and then you

3:03 – could choose the directory or the pathname if you wish I am just going to

3:08 – use the default and let me get my tftp server where I can see it here

3:21 – so we'll just use the default and lastly you can choose a user tag to be added

3:27 – but we don't need that we're just going to choose defaults so takes a few

3:30 – seconds to collect that information and then you're going to see all the files

3:41 – start coming in to my tftp server right so the files and then the logs coming in

3:48 – look at the log here

3:52 – so right so we see many files these are gzipped text files from the most part

3:58 – and so lots and lots of files are going to be sent over right so yeah it only

4:04 – took 12 seconds to collect those and then upload those all those files

4:09 – and then you could take those files and in turn you know

4:12 – upload them to TAC so however way you want to do it again if you add the

4:16 – custom commands it will run those as well on top of all the others that it

4:20 – runs but you know this is a fantastic command and tack and do some amazing

4:23 – things with the output from this command so that's the basics of it and that's it

4:29 – for today so thanks for joining