Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor
Accepted Solution

VXLAN setup example

Has anyone used VXlan with any brocade gear and if so can you direct me to any configuration examples etc. We are researching the use of vxlans primarily because of vmwares vcloud director and network pretty-much require it if you want it to scale!

If you have examples of can lead me to some documentation i would appreciate it. I've got multiple mlx-e switches with VDX switches and several CER's as well. I know that I may have to use an ADX to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Pat

Frequent Contributor

Re: VXLAN setup example

Hi Pat,

Yes, it is my understanding that VXLAN is only supported on ADX (I could be wrong on this though Smiley Happy).

Overview here https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brocade.com%2Fdownloads%2Fdocuments%2Fsolution_briefs%2Fpartners_solution_briefs%2Fbrocade-vmware-vxlan-sb.pdf&ei=H8E-U6DJIMTCkAWM_oC...

Let me have a quick look for you.

Thanks

Michael.

Thanks
Michael
Frequent Contributor

Hi mate,

Looks like the newer code rev of the VDX has VXLAN Gateway as well now.  Have a look at the admin guide for version 4.1 on page 361, there is an example about 3 pages down from there too.

Snipit of the config

1. The following substeps are for creating a virtual tunnel endpoint:
a) Enter global configuration mode, then run the overlay-gateway name command (gateway1 is used as an example name; this can be any name of your choice): 

switch# configure

switch(config)# overlay-gateway gateway1

b) Run the attach rbridge-id command to attach existing RBridge IDs to this VXLAN gateway instance. You can specify a range of RBridge IDs (as shown below):

switch(config-overlay-gateway1)# attach rbridge-id add 1-2

c) Run the ip interface Ve veid vrrp-extended-group group-ID command to set the IP address of the VXLAN gateway, as shown in this example: 

switch(config-overlay-gateway1)# ip interface ve 10 vrrp-extended-group 100

The command accepts the VE interface ID and VRPP-E group ID, then sets the VXLAN gateway IP address as identical to the already configured Virtual Redundancy Router Protocol-Extended (VRRP-E) virtual IP address. Tunnels that form use this IP address as the source IP address for outgoing packets. VXLAN gateway configuration example 364

Thanks Michael.

Thanks
Michael
Contributor

Thanks! Looks like its now supported. I have to wait to upgrade though..

Pat Smiley Very Happy

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.