Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

VRID State listed as Backup for both switches

We run two BigIron RX series.

Confgured with vrrp-e in a link redundant state.

If one switch (or carrier) goes down customers fail over to the other switch.

Switches are configured with 30+ vlans

One VRID is running on only one switch because when the second "feed" to the other swtich is plugged in the connection drops.

In our testing with both feeds connected I see that both switches show: state backup.

Switch 2 is supposed to be the master in this case. It has a priority of 208. Switch 1 has a priority is 207.

All other VRID's have a state master and state backup

How can I adjust this? Does it need to be adjusted?

**SWITCH 1**
VRID 00 (index 3)
interface v00
state backup
administrative-status enabled
mode non-owner(backup)
priority 207
current priority 207
track-priority 5

**SWITCH 2**

VRID 00 (index 3)

interface v00

state backup

administrative-status enabled

mode non-owner(backup)

priority 208

current priority 208

track-priority 5

Occasional Contributor

Re: VRID State listed as Backup for both switches

Further testing has shown that the switches do show the same state, for up to several seconds, while negotiating who has the higher priority.

A later sh run ip vrrp-e ve# showed that one switch had assumed the master role.

Super Contributor

So all is how it should be?  You are now working that way you want?

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

It is not yet working. What I found is that during vrrp-e negotiation, if you do a sh ip vrrp-e, there is a brief period when both switches will show the same state. e.g. Both will show State Master or State Backup.  After the negotiation the switch with the higher priortiy assumes its role as master and the state on the lower priority switch reverts to backup.

It was confusing since a show command taken during this negotiation made it look like both switches thought they were backup.

The underlying problem remains: This ve won't work when connected to both SW1 and SW2. I am working with support on that and will update this thread if the solution has any relation to this discussion.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.