Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

VRF-lite on the ICX 6450

I am new to the Brocade line, but have extensive knowledge and hands on with Cisco.  I was reading in the latest documents for the ICX 6450 that VRF-lite is supported (Cannot find if it is supported in 7.4).  I was wondering if anyone has tried configuring it and does it function similar to Cisco VRF-lite?

Thank you,

Greg

Super Contributor

Re: VRF-lite on the ICX 6450

Hi Greg,

VRF-Lite is in version 8 code and not supported in 7.x.. See chapter 11 of "Layer 3 Routing Configuration Guide"

Sample config

R1(config)#vrf corporate

R1(config-vrf-corporate)#rd 11:11

R1(config-vrf-corporate)#ip router-id 1.1.1.1

R1(config-vrf-corporate)#address-family ipv4

R1(config-vrf-corporate-ipv4)#

R1(config-vrf-corporate-ipv4)#exit

R1(config)#vrf guest

R1(config-vrf-guest)#rd 10:10

R1(config-vrf-corporate)#ip router-id 1.1.1.2

R1(config-vrf-guest)#address-family ipv4

R1(config-vrf-guest-ipv4)#exit

R1(config)#

R1(config)#show vrf

Total number of VRFs configured: 2

Status Codes - A:active, DSmiley Tongueending deletion, I:inactive

Name                          Default RD                vrf|v4|v6 Routes Interfaces

corporate                   11:11                          A | A| I      0   

guest                           10:10                         A | A| I      0

Total number of IPv4 unicast route for all non-default VRF is 0

Total number of IPv6 unicast route for all non-default VRF is 0

R1(config)#

Thanks

Michael.

New Contributor

Michael,

Thank you for the input, I will give the configuration a try.  I am however unable to see the chapters when looking at the online documentation.

Greg

Frequent Contributor

gs0306,

Please click on the link below which takes you to the page in L3 config guide that covers MultiVRF/ VRF-Lite.

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/FI_08000a_L3_ROUTE/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=FI_MultiVRF.13.01.html

New Contributor

Deepti,

Thank you for the link.  The commands under the section you have provided are not present on 6450.  I do not have a 6610 in the stack, but I do have the premium license installed.  The link you provided states, in the multi-vrf supported devices, that the 6450 needs to be in a stack with a 6610 to be configured for multi-vrf.  Under the OSPF v2 section the 6450 is listed as being able to support vrf-lite without any notes attached, so I assume it would handle vrf-lite natively.  Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Greg

Frequent Contributor

gs0306,

Good catch. I did some research and was able to confirm that VRF-lite will only be supported on ICX6450 if its present as part of Hyperedge Family stack with configuration done on ICX6610. So to answer your question, no it wouldn't handle VRF-lite natively at this time.

thanks

Deepti

New Contributor

Thank you for the update.  I hope that Brocade is able to support vrf-lite on the 6450 soon.  With the premium license the 6450 supports OSPF, which is what vrf-lite utilizes.  I am seeing more customers implementing it and Cisco is able to support on the 3560 series.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for your feedback gs0306. I would also recommend talking to Brocade sales representative/SE regarding this feature support just so that they can work with you as well as the product teams and see if this is something that can be incorporated in any of the future releases.

-Deepti

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.