Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

VLANs over fiber and FastIrons. Can someone help me out?

Hey everyone,

This is my first time setting up VLANs.  I am the only IT in our org, so please don't be hard on me (unless I am indeed stupid LOL) Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

This is all for wireless purposes.  This is a small residential campus infrastructure with a reachout program.  So, I have 3 "wifi" networks... administrative, guest, and residents.  I know there are wireless routers that have multiple SSIDs, that's not what I need here.

What would be ideal is:  2 VLANs across Foundry FastIrons, on Fiber.  Default VLAN would house administrative traffic (wireless).  VLAN 02 would house guest and resident traffic, as these are pretty much the same thing.

SO, I setup VLAN02 successfully.  When I'm at the physical switch that is housing the internet connection and firewall on VLAN02, I'm able to plug into the switch on a port designated for VLAN 02 and successfully connect to the internet.

However, I'm running into trouble trunking the VLAN02 port with the outgoing/incoming fiber, so that VLAN02 will be tagged across the fiber.  (We have many buildings).  When I try and trunk them, it says the ports have to have the same tag type.

Well, I can't seem to tag any of the Default VLAN ports??????  Only VLAN02?  This is where I am stuck... someone please help Smiley Happy

Thanks so much, Shark

Brocadian

Re: VLANs over fiber and FastIrons. Can someone help me out?

Hi SharkThis,

I have moved your post to the correct fourm to increase it's changes of getting seen by folks who can help out.

Brocadian

Re: VLANs over fiber and FastIrons. Can someone help me out?

[ Edited ]

Hi,

"ports have to have the same tag type." means that the two ports you are trying to form the trunk with are not tagged to the same set of VLANs (VLAN 2 in your case) . Please try to to put the second port also in VLAN02 as tagged.

Aand coming to the default VLAN, by default all the ports are untagged ports in default VLAN-1. The moment a port  is tagged in a VLAN, it does not belong to default VLAN anymore. One cannot send tagged and untagged traffic across the same trunk (except for DUAL-MODE ports intended for PC-to-IPphone connections). 

And

"Well, I can't seem to tag any of the Default VLAN ports??????  " . Please include some consoel outputs.

Rgds,

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.