Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

VLAN tagging question

I'll start off by stating the obvious - I'm no network guru.

I've inherited some IBM branded Brocade switches. The 'show version' command tells me that they're "Stackable TurboIron-X24".

I'm trying to setup 2 ESXi hosts using one of these switches. I've created VLAN 10, and added 2 ports using 'tagged e xx'.

Now on the 2 ESXi hosts, I've created a vSwitch for vMotion, and assigned physical host NICs that are plugged into the above ports. I've given them IP addresses like 10.0.0.1/24 and 10.0.0.2/24. When I ping one from the other, I get no reply. To make it work, I had to assign VLAN ID 10 to the vSwitch.

Is this expected behaviour ? I would've thought that the traffic would've been tagged appropriately on the way into the switch port and nothing would need to be done on the hosts themselves ?

I'm (almost) sure that in the past using Cisco switches I've not had to add the VLAN ID to the vSwitch.

Thanks in advance.

New Contributor

Re: VLAN tagging question

If i'm following your post correctly, you've setup vlan 10 on port 1 and 2 in tagged (as in 802.1q vlan tag) mode. If you don't want to have to configure a vlan on your vSwitch, set vlan 10 to untagged on those ports.

vlan 10

untagged eth 1 to 2

New Contributor

Re: VLAN tagging question

Thanks for the reply Chris. So to confirm, tagging ports is the equivalent of making them trunk ports in Cisco land ?

Yes this is the opposite of what I intended. I'll untag them and remove the VLAN ID from the vSwitch. This should fix it.

Thanks for the help.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.