Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

Upgrading bootrom on stacked switches fails

I have a stack of ICX6450 switches.  I'm trying to upgrade the bootrom to the newest version.  I'm getting an error when it completes that some members have failed to copy.  After reloading, it's true.  Has anyone ever seen this before and/or know how to fix it?  I'm not finding any commands to copy a file just to a single unit.

Here's the upgrade process:

ICX6450-48P Switch#copy tftp flash 1.2.3.4 brocade/icx/6450/kxz10101.bin bootrom
ICX6450-48P Switch#Load to buffer (8192 bytes per dot)
Automatic copy to member units:  2  3
................................................................................................
SYNCING IMAGE TO FLASH. DO NOT SWITCH OVER OR POWER DOWN THE UNIT...
................................................................................................WARNING: Possible failure on one of the member units while downloading the image. Images may not be in sync after reload.

TFTP to Flash Done.

And then here is the flash after reloading:

ICX6450-48P Switch#sh flash | inc Stack|Boot
Stack unit 1:
  Compressed Boot-Monitor Image size = 786944, Version:10.1.01T310
Stack unit 2:
  Compressed Boot-Monitor Image size = 776680, Version:07.4.01T310
Stack unit 3:
  Compressed Boot-Monitor Image size = 776680, Version:07.4.01T310

New Contributor

Re: Upgrading bootrom on stacked switches fails

This exact scenario is also happening to me.  I've successfully upgraded a standalone 6450-24p to 8.0 and decided to try one of my production stacks but keep running into the bootrom only upgrading on unit 1 and not syncing to the other switches.  I then am forced to reload the older bootrom.  I have not found any commands to force bootrom to a particular unit #.  Does this exist?

Occasional Contributor

I ended up figuring out that the 7.x version of software has a bug in it. I had success upgrading the software of the stack to 8.0, rebooting, and then the bootrom would upgrade the whole stack successfully.
New Contributor

So you uploaded the bootrom and saw that it was only on the unit 1 and then proceded with the 8.0.x image install and everything synced ok after the reload?  That seems pretty nerve racking attempting this on a production stack.

Occasional Contributor

What I did was ignore the bootrom upgrade and do the 8.0.x image install first and then reboot.  After it rebooted I then tried the bootrom upgrade and it copied to all stack members.  Version 8 software booted fine with the older bootrom version (mine was 07.4.01 when I did this).

New Contributor

Excellent.  The stack I am working on is also 7.4.0.1 bootrom so I will try this out tonight.

Jim

Brocadian

For what it seemed, the auto image sync is not working properly due to flash access issue.

Hence unit 2 and unit 3 did not get upgade to bootrom 10.10.1automatically when you upgade bootrom on the active unit (u1),

Here is a couple alternatives:

1. keep trying  - a couple times at least.

2. if it is still failing, then you may want to enable hitless and assign higher priority either to u2 or u3 to switchover and then repeat the tftp process for upgrading the bootrom.

3. take u2 and u3 offline from the stack and upgrade individually with the boot rom and the FI 8.0.0x image to match before joining the unit back to the stack for stack merging.- make sure the stack is also running 10.10.1 bootrom and the FI 8.0.0x image too to prevent image mis-match and cause stack merge issue.

Brocadian

The anomaly occurs with 7.4x to 8.0.10 only, it works fine for 7.4.x to 8.0x.

There is an internal defect tracking record logged for this issue, it has been documented..

After upgrading to 8.0.x bootrom (kxz10000.bin) and images, you should be able to upgrade the bootrom of kxz10101.bin (bootrom for 8.0.10x image) without problem.

Brocadian

Yes, 7.4.x to 8.0.10 is not able to cope.

7.4x to 8.0.00x is OK.

It is documented internally, no fix expected.

I just experienced this same issue.  After successfully uploading the 8.0.10 code and having it sync to all 3 units, I attempted to upload the boot code and only the first unit took it.  I verified with sho ver that unit 1 had the new boot code and units 2 and 3 still showed the old.  I went ahead and reloaded at that point and the stack came up running the new image, but the boot code on all three units was the previous version.  Went ahead and re-uploaded the boot newer boot code version, which synced to all three units, reloaded and everything is as it should be.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.