Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

Two DHCP servers single subnet

I have a unique siuation as shown in the diagram.

We have two devices serving DHCP, one of them is the brocade switch and one is a firewall.

Issue is that because of this setup even VLAN50 is now getting an IP from the VLAN60 since the firewall seems to be responding to the DHCP requests.  However for VLAN60 I want the switch to serve as a DHCP server.  Any way to point VLAN50 clients to use the switch as DHCP server and not the firewall without disruption?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Two DHCP servers single subnet

I would imagine...  Any way you could provide us some configureation details and more clear drawings.

Thanks

Occasional Visitor

[ Edited ]

You've kind of already got the idea, based on your diagram. Set the helper address accordingly for each ve.

Your diagram shows the helper address pointing to the firewall. Point it to the management IP of the switch that will be providing DHCP service

Occasional Contributor

Just to upate on this.  Decided to just have another server in our DC handle the DHCP and disable the second DHCP in the same subnet to prevent the two DHCP issue.  Smiley Happy

Contributor

If you are a Windows shop you may be glad you moved to server-based DHCP:  Windows DHCP servers automatically register their clients in Active Directory, which the firewalls, switches and routers I've used for DHCP did not do.  

Especially helpful for clients (like printers) that don't typically register themselves in AD.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.