Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Trunk 4K VLANs on an Interface

I have an ICX 6430-24P. I want to trunk as many VLANs as possible on two interfaces. This seems to be something switch manufacturers like to make painful.

What I have tried:

• First, I increased the max vlans system value to 4095 and restarted the system.
  • Then, I entered the following:
    • ICX6430-24P Switch(config)#vlan 2 to 4094
    • ERROR-can't have more than 64 vlans at a time in a multi-range vlan command
  • Ok, so try port group:
    • ICX6430-24P Switch(config)#vlan-group 1 vlan 2 to 4000
    • VLAN group 1 is too big. Only 256 vlans are allowed at a time

So, do I have to just make 16 port groups and then tag the interfaces on each of the 16 port groups? I hope not.

I like the Cisco paradigm of going to the interface and just making it a trunk and permitting all. Then it is a pretty simple TCL script to make all of the VLANs (In 3com/comware/h3c/huawei world it is even easier, "vlan batch 2 to 4094"). I wish that was available here, because VLANs really are properties of ports, not the other way around as ProCurve and Brocade want you to think.

Thanks,

-gns

Brocade Moderator

Re: Trunk 4K VLANs on an Interface

Hi Gns,

I have found these two references

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/configuration-guide/fastiron-08030d-l2guide/GUID-DCD97A06-1F15-435B-AC21-DA021DED82F3.html

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/configuration-guide/fastiron-08030d-l2guide/GUID-10D33EFC-3F56-4390-B3C8-82921174DA58.html

These confirm what you have already tested

With the VLAN group command you can add up to 256 VLANs with the command at one time.

When configuring a VLAN range the maximum number of VLANs you can create or configure with a single command is 64.

The links above show the correct way to configure more using multiple commands

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.