Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Switch Firmware vs Router Firmware

Outside vendor set up and configured our switches and routers, yada, yada, yada.

We have ICX 7750s, 7250s, 6610s and 6450s all set up with Router firmware, whether they are routing or not.  We also have 6430s set up with Switch firmware.  All except a handful of 7250s set up as Switches.

In general, is there any reason to move our "switches" to the Switch firmware and away from the Router firmware?  Is there any reason against installing the Router firmware on all of them to make our updating easier?

As I understand it, the configuration on, for example, a 7250 will work just the same whether it's the Switch firmware or the Router firmware but I wanted to verify.

Thanks.

Contributor

Re: Switch Firmware vs Router Firmware

bump

Contributor

If your Brocade devices are doing routing operations dont change your firmware.

If not you can switch to it.

--
Best Regards
Destan YILANCI
Contributor

Thanks, I understand that the routers should keep the Routing firmware.  My question is about the Layer 2 switches.  

Is there an advantage to having the Switch firmware loaded instead of the Router firmware?  Or vice-versa?  

Is there a disadvantage to having the Router firmware loaded on switches that are just doing layer 2?  

Is there a consensus that if you have Router firmware, you might as well load it because it doesn't affect the switch configuration and the extra functionality might be needed someday?

Contributor

Hi,

In my opinion it's better to use switch code firmware when you need layer 2 actions.
For example mac address capacity of 7750 is 96.000 at switch code and only 32.000 at router code (firmware).
These example can be multipled i think.

I prefer to plan my topology changes; so for extra routing functionality i choose to "reload maintaince"
Also i think that making a device as a gateway of some network segments must be planned at the begining of the job.

Of course, these are my personal opinions...

--
Best Regards
Destan YILANCI

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.