Ethernet Switches & Routers

Super Contributor

Starlifter - alive or dead?

Hi all,

Back awhile ago there was talk of a product code named Starlifter (love that name by the way).  Anyway was to do with VM migration across L3 domains in a much reduced time-frame.  A quick Google still shows some info up to December 2012, then nothing. 

So the question is did the product make it out (and what is its name) or the function rolled into another product?

Thanks

Michael.

Super Contributor

Re: Starlifter - alive or dead?

Hi Michael.  The product as a whole is 'dead'.  Not dead in the sense that it wasn't a great and ambitious idea, but dead in the sense that production costs (at the time of conception) weren't justified by the number of potential sales (in the short term).  So I think a good analogy is surfing.  You have wait for the right wave before you begin to paddle. 

I looked up the vMotion piece as it would have pertained to 'starlifter' and two pieces of information were shared.

1.  http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/solution_briefs/technology-solution-enhanced-business-continuity-live-application-mobility-vmware-metro-vmotion.pdf

2.  Brocade and IBM vMotion over distance - YouTube

So that's about all I know on the project.  If I come across anything else I'll be happy to share. 

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Super Contributor

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info Mike. Hopefully the tech will get reused in another product at some time (while at the moment it is waiting for the right wave).

Thanks

Michael.

Super Contributor

Couldn't agree more Michael!

Regards,

Mike Eversole
Brocade Community Manager
Frequent Contributor

Hello Guys,

We were interested by the tech at the time and were pre-selected for an EFT.

The project has been put away ('standby mode' I was told by my SE) for the reasons Mike alreday mentioned above.

Still, we are keeping a very close eye on it... Who knows what the futur holds ?  ;-)

Best regards.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.