Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor
jyoukers

Stacking 2 TurboIron 24x's?

Please forgive me as I am new to Brocade. I have 4 sites w/each getting 2 Brocade TurboIon 24x's. On top of them will be 2 Cisco ASA's for the firewall and ids. Now for the top TurboIron, I have 2 copper interfaces trunked going to the ids. I also have 2 fiber ports trunked going to the bottom switch. On the top switch, I have 10 vlans each with the first IP of a new subnet. What is the proper way to connect the second switch to the first? Both switches are running the TIR04200b.bin(route) code. Also have the TIS04200b.bin (switch) code in the flash as well.

Super Contributor
mschipp

Re: Stacking 2 TurboIron 24x's?

Hi,

The TurboIron do not have stacking. So you would connect them just like any two independent switch - e.g. LACP two port on each switch and trunk (tag the VLAN) you need.

Thank

Michael.

Occasional Contributor
jyoukers

I have given each side of the trunk an IP. When I attempt to "tagged" each VLAN, I get an error saying I cannot add a VLAN to interface 23 (trunked 23 and 24) because it has an IP. So I'm assuming I do not need an IP address on each side of the trunk (one on each switch). When I trunk int 23 and 24 on each switch and remove the IP addresses, I tag 1 of the 10 VLANS that I'm testing and I cannot ping the computer on the top switch under the same VLAN. I must be missing something.

Super Contributor
mschipp

You are correct in that you do not need an IP of the LACP.

Suggest to go back one step - remove the trunk/LACP.  Set it up with a single port link between the too switches.

Say port 24 on each connected to each other.

Say  you test vlan is 100.

switch1(config)# vlan 100

switch1(config)# tag e 24

switch1(config)# untag eth 1 "test PC"

switch2(config)# vlan 100

switch2(config)# tag e 24

switch2(config)# untag eth 1 "test PC"

Then try a ping.

Occasional Contributor
jyoukers

Sample network.png

When I set up the link between both switches, traffic from computer B on the bottom is one way as in can get out but not in. I have the VLAN IP on the top switch. The IP range for the VLAN IP as well as the VLAN is 192.168.11.0/24. The 2 computers have a random available ip (in the 192.168.11.0/24 range) now for testing. In my picture I have illustrated my original attempt. I have tried removing the IP's (on the inter-switch trunk) on the "e 23 to 24 trunks". As it sits, I'm just using a direct LC-LC utilizing port 24 on each Brocade. I have tagged vlan 101 to each side and it will allow traffic to go out but not in. I'm almost sure I need to have a route on the top Brocade to broadcast the traffic down into switch 2.

On a side note, Computer A isn't having any problems which makes sense.

Occasional Contributor
jyoukers

I'm sure if I can't get this to work this way, I could always subnet the 192.168.11.0/24 to 192.168.11.0/25. That'll split the range in half and add an IP from the second half to the VLAN IP on the bottom switch. It will require me to use a different default gateway depending on which switch the computer is hooked up to though.

Occasional Contributor
jyoukers

Any other ideas?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.