Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

Show Run/Show FDP Help

I'm very new to Brocade switches coming from a Cisco background. I've just started on a contract that uses some Brocade switches (FastIron SX800, FGS48G) I'm having a little trouble understanding a few of the features. My first problem is when doing a 'show run' I don't see any interfaces except for one or two gig ports and a couple of interface vlans. I understand that brocade switches won't show interfaces in 'show run' output until they have been enabled. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to my Cisco brain but ok. I know I shouldn't see anything for disabledports. When I do a 'show FDP' however, I see I have multiple connections coming into my switch. If I do a 'show interface <interface>' I see those interfaces as up/up. If a port is up/up and showing it has a neighbor via FDP then I would make the assumption that the port is enabled. Why don't I see these ports in my 'show run' output? Most of the ports are assigned to a vlan or trunked. Is it because these ports are layer two ports assigned to a vlan and no other configuration changes?

Another question I have is in my 'show FDP' on the FastIron SX800 I've noticed a few ports going to what looks to be two different devices. For example I have eth3/17 going to a FastIron2 eth0/1/40AND eth3/17 going to a Cisco switchblade g0/15. How exactly is this possible? Not being able to see all of the ports both enabled/disabled has made trying to figure this out a little more difficult. I realize it keeps the config nice and neat but for someone like me with no Brocade experience it would be helpful to see all of the ports just to see how the switch ports are labled and such.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Show Run/Show FDP Help

Brocade's config is a cleaner version of the IOS config's you're used to.  The interfaces are assumed.  Meaning they're there but unless you put anything on them except the default config they aren't shown in the configs. So the ports are there, just not mucking up the config file unless you have a non default config.  You can see this by going into an interface and applying an IP address or a rate limit, etc.  It'll show up then.

To see the ports do a show int brief.  All ethernet ports are ethernet.  There is no faste or gige interfaces.  just e.

On the show FDP, is there a layer2 device between them?

Super Contributor

Hi ljones2,

Just to be clear on the the disabled ports not showing.  if the interface does not show in the config then the port is enable but has nothing other then default config on the port.

From memory if you disable a port it will show that in the show run.  Also worth noting that the Netiron boxes have all ethernet (other then management) ports disabled by default in case you come across some of these.

For FDP, if you have multi link to the Cisco box then that you show up.

Thanks

Michael.

New Contributor

Thanks for the quick responses. I totally understand the need for a cleaner looking config. Cisco is about information overload. Have you ever tried to search their site for anything? It's a nightmare. The 'show int brief' was exactly what I was looking for. I just want to be able to see the state of all of my ports.

As for why I'm seeing two different destinations on one port: I have no clue at this point what is in the middle. I would think maybe a hub but I have multiple ports that are showing that they have two destinations and the destinations are different on each port, which would require multiple hubs. I guess I'll have to wait until I can physically see the equipment to figure that one out.

These switches are very similar to cisco switches but the differences are making more sense. I'm sure I will have more questions in the near future. Thanks again for the quick responses.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.