Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor
momo

Sflow in Ironstack does not work

Hi,

I have a problem where when sflow is enabled i got the standby unit out of the stack with reason "not ready". What could be the reason for that?

Both units are FLS STK Fast iron switches. Firmware version is 7.2.02

Thanks

Super Contributor
mschipp

Re: Sflow in Ironstack does not work

Hi Momo,

Please provide the output of a "show version" to see if you are running 7.2.02 or with a letter after e.g. latst code is 7.2.02h and has a few fixed for sFlow when in stacking mode.

Possible reason if you are not running 7.2.02h.

Summary:     sflow does not work for member units of the FGS(FLS maybe*) stack if the uplink is 10G.

Symptom:     sflow does not work for member units of the FGS(FLS maybe*) stack if the uplink is 10G and configured with IPv6 collector.

Fixed in:       7.2.02h code release

Another possible reason is to Set the ‘sflow polling-interval’ to zero in order to send the sFlow samples.

* I say maybe but the FGS and FLS are almost the same switch so would be worth a try.

There are also other sFlow fixes in 7.2.02f.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor
momo

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. Version of the software is 7.2.02g

UNIT 1: compiled on Jul 23 2012 at 12:47:55 labeled as FGSL07202g

UNIT 2: compiled on Jul 23 2012 at 12:47:55 labeled as FGSL07202g

UNIT 1: SL 1: FLS-48G 48-port Management Module

P-ENGINE  0: type D804, rev 01

P-ENGINE  1: type D804, rev 01

==========================================================================

UNIT 1: SL 2: FLS-1XGC 1-port 10G Module (1-CX4)

UNIT 1: SL 3: FLS-1XGC 1-port 10G Module (1-CX4)

UNIT 2: SL 1: FLS-48G 48-port Management Module

P-ENGINE  0: type D804, rev 01

P-ENGINE  1: type D804, rev 01

UNIT 2: SL 2: FLS-1XGC 1-port 10G Module (1-CX4)

UNIT 2: SL 3: FLS-1XGC 1-port 10G Module (1-CX4)

Most probably the stack is going over 10G interfaces.

All is IPv4. Will the set of pooling interval to 0 fix the issue?

Thanks

Super Contributor
mschipp

I cannot say for sure, as I do not have the hardware to test.  However, I would give that a try and see as you are on G release. If that still does not fixed the issue, I would release H, if still not working then I would contact the Brocade TAC.

My money would be on going to release H.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor
momo

Hi,

I will give it a try. Is it 100% sure that in next release 'h' that problem is fixed?

Thanks

Super Contributor
mschipp

No Momo, it is not 100%, The release notes for H state the below (without the FLS)

Summary:     sflow does not work for member units of the FGS(FLS maybe*) stack if the uplink is 10G.

Symptom:     sflow does not work for member units of the FGS(FLS maybe*) stack if the uplink is 10G and configured with IPv6 collector.

Fixed in:       7.2.02h code release

But as I know that these two switches are almost the same I would think the bug would effect both. ALSO it states that for the bug to come into effect you would need to be using IPv6 - so at the end of the day I am just going by a gut feeling that it may fix the issue.  To make sure for 100% you would need to contact the Brocade TAC.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor
momo

OK, that problem is fixed now. New code release did it, but we got another issue now. Sflow export/shows only ingress traffic. No egress traffic shown. Any idea how to fix it or is it another bug?

Occasional Contributor
momo

It just started same thing as before. I was able to enable sflow just once and after i restarted it got the same result as with old code release. Now sflow exports only ingress traffic. Getting sick of this sflow.

Super Contributor
mschipp

Hi Momo,

sFlow is only supported on ingress and NOT egress on these switches.

From the Config guide "Brocade devices support sFlow packet sampling of inbound traffic only. These devices do not sample outbound packets. However, Brocade devices support byte and packet count statistics for both traffic directions."

I think at this point you need to contact the TAC for the stack issue with sFlow as my best guesses are all done sorry.

Thanks

Michael.

New Contributor
netmgmt

While packets are sampled on ingress, the switch captures the forwarding decision (egress port, VLAN etc) and includes it with the packet samples:

sFlow: Packet paths

You need to enable sFlow on all ports on the switch and then your sFlow analyzer should be able to report on ingress/egress traffic on each port. You didn't mention what tool you are using to look at the sFlow data. You might want to try sFlowTrend - it's free and will let you clearly see what the switch is reporting:

InMon: sFlowTrend

sflowtool is a useful diagnostic tool for debugging sFlow issues - it will print out all the information in the binary sFlow datagrams so you can see what is being reported:

sFlow: sflowtool

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.