Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

Router-Interface command invalid?

Hi,

I am new to Brocade and have our first switch, an FCX648.  I am following the configuration guide about how to setup virtual inerfaces and I am running into troubles, Below is what I am entering based on the config guide example:

(config)# vlan 200

(config-vlan-200)# router-interface ve200

Invalid input -> router-interface ve200

Type ? for a list

When I hit ?,  router-interface is not even listed as an option.  Is there something else I need to turn on first?  I had already created vlan 200 and named it and I have a few ports both tagged and untagged on that vlan.  What else am I misising?  I searched here for help and everyone seems to just be using this command without a problem.

Thanks,

Kevin Stephenson

Technology Coordinator

Muscle Shoals City Schools

CMD
Contributor

Re: Router-Interface command invalid?

Are you sure you are running the base layer 3 software image? Please post the output from "sh ver"...

Thanks

CMD
Contributor

Also the output from "sh flash"

New Contributor

Below are the outputs of both commands.  I have not reloaded any firmware on the FCX648.  It is as it came out of the box a few weeks ago.

Thanks,

Kevin

sh ver:

Copyright (c) 1996-2010 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc.

UNIT 1: compiled on Mar 17 2010 at 22:15:04 labeled as FCXS07001b
                (3805331 bytes) from Primary /foundry/FGS/os/FCXS07001b.bin
        SW: Version 07.0.01bT7f1
  Boot-Monitor Image size = 369286, Version:07.0.01T7f5 (grz07001)
  HW: Stackable FCX648
==========================================================================
UNIT 1: SL 1: FCX-48G 48-port Management Module
         Serial  #: BGG2210F00F
         P-ENGINE  0: type DB90, rev 01
         P-ENGINE  1: type DB90, rev 01
==========================================================================
  800 MHz Power PC processor 8544E (version 33/0022) 400 MHz bus
65536 KB flash memory
  512 MB DRAM
STACKID 1  system uptime is 30 days 4 hours 6 minutes 38 seconds
The system started at 09:33:49 GMT-06 Mon Nov 29 2010
The system : started=cold start

sh flash:

Stack unit 1:

Compressed Pri Code size = 3805331, Version:07.0.01bT7f1 (/foundry/FGS/os/FCXS

07001b.bin)

Compressed Sec Code size = 4866666, Version:07.0.01bT7f3 (/foundry/FGS/os/FCXR

07001b.bin)

Compressed Boot-Monitor Image size = 369286, Version:07.0.01T7f5

Code Flash Free Space = 56885248

CMD
Contributor

Kevin,

According to the "sh ver" you have booted the switch using the layer 2 image, which is the default. On Brocade FastIron switches, the flash is divided into  primary and secondary partitions. By default, the primary partition houses the layer 2 code and the secondary partitions house the base layer 3 code. Again by default, the switch will load the software in the primary partition upon boot-up.

Because the switch loaded the layer 2 code when it booted, you can not configure the "router-interface" command. To do this, you will need to run the base layer 3 software. To do this:

1) From the global prompt, enter "boot system flash sec"

2) Save the configuration

3) Reload the switch

Keep in mind that if you put an IP address on the switch using the "IP address" command when you were running the layer 2 code, this will not carry over when you boot up using the layer 3 code. You will want to go to your management VLAN and add the IP address using the "router-interface" command.

You can use the "show boot-preference" command to see where the switch will look for its software when it reboots.

From the config guide:

Rebooting
You can use boot commands to immediately initiate software boots from a software image stored
in primary or secondary flash on a Brocade device or from a BootP or TFTP server. You can test new
versions of code on a Brocade device or choose the preferred boot source from the console boot
prompt without requiring a system reset.
NOTE
It is very important that you verify a successful TFTP transfer of the boot code before you reset the
system. If the boot code is not transferred successfully but you try to reset the system, the system
will not have the boot code with which to successfully boot.
By default, the Brocade device first attempts to boot from the image stored in its primary flash,
then its secondary flash, and then from a TFTP server. You can modify this booting sequence at the
global CONFIG level of the CLI using the boot system… command.
To initiate an immediate boot from the CLI, enter one of the boot system… commands.

Please post if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Chris

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.