Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor
nealb

Question regarding 1020 CNA

Can anyone tell me if the 1020 CNA's support direct cross over? Going directly from one to card in a server to another card in a different server. Some of the Broadcom cards do but I am looking into moving to Brocade.

Thanks in advance

Antonio Bongiorno TechHelp24

Re: Question regarding 1020 CNA

as per my opinion, I don't think that work.

TechHelp24
Super Contributor
mschipp

Hi Nealb,

I had a quick look at the specs and I do not see auto MDI, so my guess would be no.  However are you looking at using them as Ethernet cards or FCoE or both?

From an Ethernet only point of view them if it supports auto MDI then it should work.  If no auto MDI (as per the spec sheet) then you would need a DAC that is a cross over - never seen one though.

Thanks

Michael.

New Contributor
nealb

Yes they will be used as Layer 2 connection Ethernet only. So no?

Super Contributor
mschipp

Hi nealb,

I would say you would have to test it.  At the end of the day if you are only using it as an 10G ethernet card, then the same rules should apply. 

My only concern is that the spec do not mention Auto MDI - maybe the transciver built into the twinax cables does this and not the port itself. (had a look at the twinax cables datasheet and it also does not say Auto MDI)

Can only suggest you try it - my bet is it will work.

Thanks

Michael.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.