Ethernet Switches & Routers

Qos for VDI and Voice over Layer 3 Point to Point links

[ Edited ]

Good morning

I need to implement Qos between 4 sites, for VDI running on VMware, and cisco Voice. I do not care about any other traffic on these links - the rest can go best effort.

The VDI infrastructure is primary in London, sitting on a Vlan on a brocade 6610 stack (10.0.0.0/24)

The HK office users need to access these virtual machines from 10.2.2.0/24. They sit on a cisco 3850.

The NY users are on 10.1.2.0/24 and sit on Brocade FCX-648 stack.

For voice there is cisco call manager in London, that both HK and NY phones register to.

Further to this there is a DR site with no users, that also has a cisco call manger subscriber for backup that also needs to be factored into the Qos design.

the topolgy is simple, however the Qos design documents are very difficult to understand.

I see a few posts here of people that have asked for examples - it seems people reply with links to documents.  I have scoured the internet for examples and cannot find any.  There are none in this document:

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/FI_08010_TRAFFIC/GUID-9E7942D6-4A92-4967-9B04-D37D293B7363.html

Someone must have implemented a straightforward Qos design, and have the config handy.

This (these) documents are more about theory than implementation.  The cisco device will be no problem - as VMware publish a document for QOS and use cisco as an example, and there are thousands of examples out there.

Does anyone have a configuration for this sort of thing - im talking examples rather than links to brocade documents?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

QOS.jpg

Frequent Contributor

Re: Qos for VDI and Voice over Layer 3 Point to Point links

Hi Contra,

I do not have an example sorry.  However the main thing to remember for Brocade when using stacking is that Q7 is reserved for stacking information.  I would suggest you use Q5 for Voip and VDI, leaving 6 available should something come up that needs highter.

Use the below to set Q5 on the ports you need.

Brocade(config)#interface ethernet 1/1/1
Brocade(config-if-e1000-1/1/1)#priority 5

Thanks

Michael.

Thanks
Michael
Contributor

Re: Qos for VDI and Voice over Layer 3 Point to Point links

Hello Contra,

Did you move forward with this design ? What have you implemented exactly ? 

We might have to do the same type of configuration soon and I am interested to know the outcome of your discussions.

Rgds

Da

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.