Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

Problem connecting a TurboIron 24X to a FastIron CX

We have following set of switches:

• TurboIron 24X (IBM B24X)
  • FastIron CX (IBM 48Y)
  • NetIron CES 2048FX (IBM 50C)

After extreme debugging, we are still unable to access the TurboIron from the FastIron and the other way around (neither ICMP via ping nor TCP/IP access via telnet works). We don't even get the destination switch's IP to the arp table of the source. Note that this problem occurs when we connect the switches via the fiber interfaces. If we connect them via the copper ports, pinging works flawlessly.

We have tested all possible switch pair combinations using fiber among the above switches and this works flawlessly, i.e. we are facing the above problem only with the TurboIron-FastIron pair.

The switches operate on their factory settings (even resetting won't work). Both involved fiber ports show up as UP and FORWARDING, access llists and mac filter tables on them have been cleared and we don't use any VLANs beyond the default one (VLAN 1). Fiber cables used are also good.

I would appreciate any tips towards a solution, since we have run out of clues.

Thank you in advance

Super Contributor

Re: Problem connecting a TurboIron 24X to a FastIron CX

Ho katrinisk,

Are you pinging from switches or from clients?

Please post a show version from both switches.

Have you configured a management IP address on the turboiron?  Is that the ip address you are tring to ping from the FCX?

Please try this.

Say you are connecting the port number 25 on the Turboiron to the FCX on port 24.

Turobiron

TI#vlan 1

TI#tag eth  25

FCX

FCX#vlan 1

FCX#tag eth 24

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Michael,

thanks a lot for your reply.

I have tried pinging both from clients or switches, neither works. I ping the management IP addresses of the switches, which have been checked to be correct (via show ip ...)

I attach below the software versions that the switches are running.

Unfortunately the port tagging commands are not available in neither my TurboIron, nor the FastIron versions I got.

Would appreciate any further input.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

telnet@TX24 Switch#show version
  SW: Version 04.1.00d Copyright (c) 1996-2009 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc.
      Compiled on Jan 15 2010 at 17:57:14 labeled as TIS04100d
      (4853454 bytes) from Primary TIS04100d.bin
      Compressed Boot-Monitor Image size = 373767, Version:04.1.00T205 (grz04100)
  HW: Stackable TurboIron-X24
==========================================================================
      Serial  #: BFF2340E01P
      BROCADE-ASIC 0: type B820, rev 01  subrev 00
  833 MHz Power PC processor 8541 (version 32/0020) 66 MHz bus
  512 KB boot flash memory
31744 KB code flash memory
  512 MB DRAM
The system uptime is 1 hours 6 minutes 44 seconds
The system : started=cold start

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

telnet@FCX648 Switch>show version
  Copyright (c) 1996-2010 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc.
    UNIT 1: compiled on Mar 17 2010 at 22:15:04 labeled as FCXS07001b
                (3805331 bytes) from Primary /foundry/FGS/os/FCXS07001b.bin
        SW: Version 07.0.01bT7f1
  Boot-Monitor Image size = 369286, Version:07.0.01T7f5 (grz07001)
  HW: Stackable FCX648
UNIT 1: SL 1: FCX-48G 48-port Management Module
         Serial  #: BGG2217F0E1
         P-ENGINE  0: type DB90, rev 01
         P-ENGINE  1: type DB90, rev 01
UNIT 1: SL 2: FCX-4XG 4-port 10G Module (4-SFP+)
  800 MHz Power PC processor 8544E (version 33/0022) 400 MHz bus
65536 KB flash memory
  512 MB DRAM
STACKID 1  system uptime is 1 hours 8 minutes 8 seconds
The system : started=cold start

Contributor

When you connect the FCX and TurboIron using fiber, do you have other devices connected to ports 1 through 4 on the FCX?

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the ports 1-4 on the FCX (copper ports) are occupied. I just note that these ports (1-4) are on slot 1/1,

while the fiber ports are on 1/2.

Super Contributor

As CMD implied - Ports 1-4 are combo ports on the FCX - you cannot use both port 1/1 though 1/4 when using 1/1f though 1-4f.

Take the copper connections out and retest please.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that. I will test this later today and let you know about the outcome.

Though what bugs me is that using both ports (e.g. port 1 copper and port 1 fiber) concurrently does work,

when I connect the FCX with a NetIron! But it stops working, when I only connect the FCX with the TIX.

Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

the port 1-4 was unfortunately not the problem, i.e. even if I don't use the 1-4 copper ports, I am still unable to ping the TurboIron from the FCX.

Note that if I connect the fiber port of the FCX to the fiber port of a NetIron and still use the copper port 4 of the FCX concurrently, poing still works,

i.e. this is not an issue.

I kind of run out of solutions, so installed wireshark on my laptop and monitored the fiber port at the FCX. I observe that arp requests from the TIX looking for the MAC of the FCX get never answered and so is the opposite direction. This is why I keep finding the arp tables of both switches empty. But even adding manually the respective entries to the ARP tables of both switches did not help.

Another observation during tracing is that FCX keeps periodically sending an STP topology change broadcast, which never ceases. I guess this means that the L2 path FCX-TIX is never built. This is confirmed, if I do L2-tracing from either switch: neither reports an L2 path.

The simplest I can think is that either of the two switches is blocking STP PDUs from the other and so no L2 paths are built.

I am also wondering whether I am wasting my time with >L2 debugging and the problem is at the physical layer.

I have though tested the fiber transceivers of both involved switches with other NetIron switches and all these tests work fine (pinging). It s only when I try

to ping between TIX-FCX that I get the problem.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Super Contributor

ok time to test another VLAN other then the default vlan.

create VLAN 2 on both switches

Tag the two port to the vlan.

put a VE on the FCX and then try and ping the FCX from the TI.

FCX#con t

FCX#vlan 2

FCX#tag eth xx

FCX#router inter VE 2

FCX# ip address x.x.x.x/y

TI#con t

TI#vlan 2

TI# tag eth xx

Please test this and let me know - if still no go then I will lab it on Monday (Australian time)

Thanks

Michael.

Super Contributor

How did you go?  Do you need me to lab it?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.