Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Primary Flash vs Secondary Flash

I know in advance this is a stupid question but I have to ask.  We had a vendor install and configure our new Brocade switches with Ruckus APs and I've noticed that a fair number of the switches are set to boot off the secondary flash even though the primary and secondary both match.

As I understand the process, you load the new image into the secondary, boot off the secondary for a while and if everything goes okay, copy the secondary over the primary and set it to boot off the primary.  So I'm assuming that the switches that are still booting off the secondary didn't get flipped back to the primary for whatever reason.

Anyway, stupid question time.  If the primary flash and the secondary flash both match, is there any reason to still boot off the secondary?

Thanks.

External Moderator

Re: Primary Flash vs Secondary Flash

ctavernier,

->If the primary flash and the secondary flash both match, is there any reason to still boot off the secondary?

Technical there is no matter if the switch boot from Primary or Secondary Flash, as long as the running config is committed on both Flash Partition.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.