Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

Power lost but power supplies lit...

Anyone ever seen this before:

Today we lost connectevity to both of our core switches that are in a stack. FCX648-S. Never happened before. When I went in, all four power supplies (2 each) were lit up green in the back. However every link light and anything else that could possibly glow in the front was off. I could not figure it out. Pulling power to all four and booting up each one fixed it.

N/A

Re: Power lost but power supplies lit...

When I have seen this, it is the result of an over-temp condition on the switch.  If it hits the shutdown threshold, you will see this same behavior, and it will not recover until you do a cold boot, as you did.  Hope that helps.

Contributor

Thanks. Do you know if there's a way to post-mortum determine if this was the cause? Does it have an internal log of such events?

Brocadian

Hi Blake, I was on another account for the first reply.  Unfortunately, the internal logs would be cleared on the boot.  Best practices would be to set up syslog and have logging done externally.  However, given the symptoms described, I would say this is the most likely scenario.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.