Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

On a Fastiron, how can I modify an IP access-list with out removing it?

I would like to modify my ACL with out removing it. How can I see what line #'s are use and how do I then add a line to the ACL?

New Contributor

Re: On a Fastiron, how can I modify an IP access-list with out removing it?

Hi Robert.  I'm not proclaiming to be an expert on Brocade switches.  But, I will tell you how I've overcome this.

I use telnet through a Windows command prompt:

switchrtr(Config)# show access-list xxx (the list number)

Then I copy and paste the data into a text file.  Make what ever changes you need to make, then add a line to the data.  When ready, save the file (for just in case), go back to the device and delete the access-list.  Now, in the global config mode, copy and paste the data from the text file (including the extra line) and paste it into your session.  This is a real quick way to get all the commands in at once.  Now all you have to do is re-apply the access list to the appropriate ports.

**Before you delete the access-list, be sure to take note of where it's applied.

Mike R.

Contributor

Re: On a Fastiron, how can I modify an IP access-list with out removing it?

1. You have an IP ACL named mylist applied to interface 1/1/1 inbound
  2. Copy/paste the list to text editor
  3. Rename to mylist2
  4. Make your changes
  5. Copy/paste new mylist2 ACL into config
  6. interface ethernet 1/1/1
  7. ip access-group mylist2 in   --- no need to remove the previous list

For next change, edit the original mylist.  Add no ip access-list extended mylist at the top, so when you paste into config the list is first deleted, then re-created.Then change the access-group back to mylist.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.