Ethernet Switches & Routers

N/A

Odd error message

So we had a power outage today in are main data center. And when we where bringing everthing back up I hoped on to the console one of our routers and noticed a strange error message.

ERROR MESSAGE:

Warning: pp_add_ip_host_to_hw() Direct 192.168.31.100/32 return  28Smiley SurprisedUT_OF_CPU_MEM

Warning: pp_add_ip_host_to_hw() Direct 192.168.28.10/32 return  28Smiley SurprisedUT_OF_CPU_MEM

This message seems to pick a ransdom address. I cant seem to find a pattern. I also cant tell what its trying to warn me about

:show mem
Total DRAM: 134217728 bytes
  Dynamic memory: 113246208 bytes total, 41927784 bytes free, 62% used

I Just kind of want to know what this message means

Super Contributor

Re: Odd error message

Hi,

pp_add_ip_host_to_hw() Direct 192.168.31.100/32 return 28Smiley SurprisedUT_OF_CPU_MEM

pp is the packet processor - so just guess is you are out of address space on the line card.  However you should be looked at by the TAC.

Highly suggest you log a TAC call and get it looked at.

Thanks

Michael.

Frequent Contributor

Hi jfarmer,

Was your question answered? If so, please mark the answer as either helpful or correct so that helpful users will receive points. Thanks!

Cheers,

Grace Chang

Global Community Moderator

Occasional Contributor

It looks like we are running out of hardware resources(Tcam)

The TCAM is where your layer 3 forwarding entries get programmed into hardware. It takes a certain amount of time for the unused entries to age out. Once this has happened and the number of entries drops below the maximum value (256 in this case), you will no longer see the error message. The number of entries is dependent upon the number of hosts attached to your device and the number of local ip subnets configured. I would recommend increasing the maximum Tcam value to 1020:

To increase the Tcam  issue the command listed below,  write to memory and reload.
(config)#system-max hw-ip-route-tcam 1020
(config)#wr mem
#reload

Let me know if this resolves the issue.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.