Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

OSPF Default-Passive-Interface

Howdy,

I am running OSPFv2 on some MLXe's and I want to eliminate unnecessary OSPF traffic out interfaces that are currently not forming OSPF adjacencies... With Cisco I would specify "passive-interface default" and then specify what interfaces I am wanting to run OSPF with the "no passive-interface vlan X"... With Brocade, it seems to potentially be more involving... I have found that brocade has the command "Default-Passive-Interface" that I would enter under a OSPF process, but that command doesn't seem to be available until 5.2? I am running 5.1 and don't see that command as an option. So, per that, is the only way for me to designate what interfaces (physical or virtual) I want OSPF hello's to be sent out of to use "ip ospf passive" command on every L3 interface!?

With Brocade I specify the OSPF area and other parameters directly on the interface, if the L3 interface has no ospf config on it, I would assume that is the equivalent (for Cisco) to not having a network statement that includes the ip that interface is assigned and thus those interfaces will not have hello messages sent out?

I guess my question is, by virtue of the OSPFv3 like OSPF config per interface with brocade, does that implicitely eleminate the need of defining passive interfaces?

Thanks!

Contributor

Re: OSPF Default-Passive-Interface

If I am following you correctly, you want to have a passive OSPF interface?

If so use the following command on the interface or ve: ip ospf passive

If you do not specify an OSPF area to an interface or ve it will not participate in OSPF, thus not sending out hello packets.

Hope this helps!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.