Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

Newbie question about Brocade 1020

I have decided to learn about Fibre networks and I have a Dell Powerconnect 8024F 10GB switch.

Managed 10 Gigabit Ethernet Switches | Dell Australia

1. Can the Brocade 1020 dual adapter be used as a general purpose network adapter ie for use in a Server 2008 environment ie not used as SAN HBA.

2. Can this Netgear cable be used to connect to the Powerconnect 8024F or do I have to get Brocade SFP modules ?

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/fully-managed-switches/switch-modules/AXC761.aspx#

Occasional Contributor

Re: Newbie question about Brocade 1020

Hi moored,

1. yes

2. if that dac is active, it should be - if it's a passive dac it should not. But in both cases, it is not supported by brocade, since it's not brocade labled. Brocade officials, can maybe confirm that.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the answers

Does Brocade have an equivalent cable that will work?

External Moderator

Brocade 1010 and 1020 are Native CNA and not intended for Ethernet, unless I'm mistaken.

Brocade 1860 HBA is designed to supported all Protocols.

Brocade don't offer such Copper assembled cable, and this Netgear cable is NOT Supported by Brocade.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Antonio

> Brocade 1010 and 1020 are Native CNA and not intended for Ethernet, unless I'm mistaken.

Am I mis-reading this specification.

http://www.dell.com/us/enterprise/p/switch-brocade-1020/pd

Ethernet Specifications

Data Center Bridging (DCB) support: Priority-Based Flow Control (PFC: 802.1Qbb),

Enhanced Transmission Selection (ETS: 802.1Qaz),

Congestion Notification (802.1Qau),

DCBX Data Center Bridging Exchange Protocol

Performance: 10 Gbps full-duplex line rate

Frame sizes: 9600 byte jumbo frames and mini-jumbo frames supported

Ethernet standards compliance: 802.3ae, 802.1P/Q, 802.3x, 802.3ad

Stateless offloads: IPv4/IPv6, TCP, and UDP checksum offload; IPv4 header checksum offload; TCP Segmentation Offload (TSO); Receive Side Scaling (RSS); Header Data Split (HDS); VLAN insertion/stripping and VLAN filtering

Occasional Contributor

Moored,

the described specs are dcb standards - standards which will allow you to speak fcoe / lossless ethernet between your server and your switching device. Since your switch does not speak dcb/cee, you will be able to use that 1020 BUT not your dcb/cee features.

A colleage used the 1020 as well some weeks ago to connect to a procurve 5406zl, which is also not able to speak dcb. Like antonio said, you should use the 1860 or a regular 10g nic if available. The 1020 is not designed for that kind of operation, while the 1860 is designed for.

Brocade 1860 Fabric Adapter

Is there a reason why you want to use a cna instead of a regular 10g nic?

Brocade offers active dac.

http://www.brocade.com/forms/getFile?p=documents/data_sheets/product_data_sheets/10-gbps-copper-cable-ds.pdf

The problem will be, it's supported on brocades side but maybe not on hp's side. This will have to cleared with hp.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Maik,

Thankyou for your reply,

I have a Dell 8024F not a HP I have googled dcb and this is what it comes back with:

PowerConnect 8024F Switch Details | Dell

Quote:

Satisfy converged network requirements for Data Center Bridging (DCB) with such features as Priority-based Flow Control (802.1Qbb), iSCSI optimization with iSCSI TLV support, DCBx discovery and 10Gb wire-speed performance on all ports. iSCSI traffic can also be monitored at the fabric level, allowing you to track active iSCSI sessions.

Does DCBx go hand in hand with CEE or because I cant find a reference for CEE the hub doesn't support it.

I have 5 of these network cards already so I am keen to use them.

Thanks for being patient with me I am new to this and the only way for me to learn is to purchase as cheap as I can and set up a test lab.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

sorry, i did not have a detailed look at the specs of the 8024F - it's dcb able, so you should be able to use your 1020 cards with your 8024F. Dell provides actually a whitepaper for setting up in converged environments. http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20081200.aspx

CEE is like an umbrella term for standards, which make the traditional ethernet technology lossless. Cee simply describes the standards DCBx, PFC and ETS. There is a good fcoe training for free at brocade education - "FCoE 101 - WBT". Check this web based training out, you will learn a lot with that.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your confirmation and the links, I was sweating a bit there.

Occasional Contributor

Mate, you should also talk with your dell contact about the brocade labled dac. If they are supported or not - since dell sells some oemized brocade gear, the chance is pretty high.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.