Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor
ianc

Monitoring linknets via 3rd party transit

Hi,

I've been looking a method of tracking remote reachability between two routers (Brocade CER) which are connected by a linknet over a layer 2 circuit.   IP SLA would do this on other platforms, I've looked into layer 2 link monitoring, but not sure if this appropriate.  Ideally I'd like the specific ves / vlan's to block if the remote side becomes unreachable, as I can't guarantee the layer 2 circuit will detect the end to end failure.  Primary reason being to avoid potential blackholing.

Not sure of how this would be achieved in the Brocade universe.

Many Thanks

Ian

Occasional Contributor
shayne1

Re: Monitoring linknets via 3rd party transit

Is UDLD the correct option for this?

New Contributor
ianc

Re: Monitoring linknets via 3rd party transit

Agreed, it would be if we weren't passing the linknets over several vlans tagged over a 2 wire LAG.   Even though you can target the UDLD against a specific vlan and it passes the packet tagged, you can't have it affect anything other than the actual physical port, the result is it err-disables the associated physical ports when a failure occurs taking anything on that trunk with it, including vlans which could be working perfectly - a shame it can't target a ve interface.

The same appears to be true with 802.3ah EFM-OAM.

The only fix I can think of is to migrate each linknet onto discreet cabling carrying only the relevant vlan.

Unless I'm missing something ?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.