Ethernet Switches & Routers

Frequent Contributor

Mapping inner QinQ VLANs into VPLS instances

Dear Community,

A provider of ours is handing off clients VLANs over a fiber interco using QinQ (outer VLAN is for transport on their network and inner VLAN is our end client).

We actually terminate this on a Cisco ME but would like to move that to an MLXe action as MPLS PE and map VLANs into different MPLS instances.

I wanted to confirm the exact stanza based on what I found in NI5.4 config guide :

1/ Activate QinQ on the provider facing port :

tag-type 9100 ethe X/Y.

I found this section in the guide related to this :

"Special considerations for dual-tagged endpoints
Before configuring a dual-tagged VPLS endpoint, consider the following:
The tag protocol identifier (TPID) of the inner VLAN tag must be 0x8100 be classified as dual-tagged and recognized by dual-tagged endpoints. If the TPID is not 0x8100, the packet will be classified as a single-tagged packet.
The TPID of the outer VLAN tag must be the port’s configured tag type (the default tag type is 0x8100)."

2/ Map client VLAN into the different VPLS instances :

Brocade(config-mpls)#vpls test 10
Brocade(config-mpls-vpls-test10)#vlan X inner-vlan Y
Brocade(config-mpls-vpls-test_10-vlan-X-inner-vlan-Y)#tagged Ethernet 2/1

X being SP transport VLAN (outer VLAN) and Y being clustomer VLAN (inner VLAN).

Ultimatly, what I'm trying to achieve looks like this :

PROVIDER SERVER =====> PROVIDER BACKBONE =====> My MPLS PE ======> L2 TRANSPORT via VPLS =====> MY FIREWALL

C-VLAN                             S-VLAN + C-VLAN                      C-VLAN                                    

Does that sound about right to you ?

Thanks for the feedbacks.

Best regards.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.