Ethernet Switches & Routers

LAD
New Contributor
LAD

Management interface port down

Hello,

I received two sorts of ethernet switches, one L2 ICX6430-24P and L3 ICX 6610-24F.

There are good products and work like a charme but I'm not able to have dedicated management interface reliable.

In fact I setup IP addresses on theses switches correctly, all is working, I dedicated a special interface with a management VLAN (It works), however If i forget to put a cable in the management interface at boot It remains disabled. I need to reenable It in console or SSH.

It happens on the both equipments (6610 or 6430) and appears to not be normal.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

New Contributor
rick.soto

Re: Management interface port down

The connection between the 2 devices should be a DOT1Q (Tagged) connection.  The management VLAN should virtual.

i.e.

L3 device--  Has VLAN 10 (users) VLAN 20 (servers) VLAN 30 (management).  Create corresponding VLANS and Interfaces (virtual).  Interconnect devices at port 24. Tagged VLANs to port 24.

L2 device -- Create corresponding VLANs. Interconnect devices at port 24.  Make VLAN 30 the management-vlan. Tagged VLANs to port 24.

I hope this helps.

Super Contributor
mschipp

Hi support82,

Why is the port down (show int bri) - admin down or just down, blocked via STP?  What VLAN did you mark as management?  Can you post the two configs?

Thanks

Michael.

LAD
New Contributor
LAD

Hello,

I talked about outband interface, the dedicated one which cannot be part of a VLAN etc..

mgmt1   Up      None    Full 1G    None  No  None 0

That interface doesn't work if I don't explicitly enable after a boot. The weird thing that if I put a copper in It before the cold start, It will be up.

I dedicated a VLAN to the management and tagged my ethernet 1/1/24 interface, it works like a charm all the time.

The problem is the MGMT1 dedicated interface.

Thanks for your time.

Super Contributor
mschipp

Hi support82,

Ok, I think I understand what you are saying now .

You want to use the management port/s on the two switches and you have configured a management VLAN on 1/1/24 on both switches?

The use of the management VLAN command is only required if you are not using the dedicated management ports.  It is there as some switches do not have a management port.

Please remove the config for management on ports 1/1/24 then the normal management ports should work as expected.

Thanks

Michael.

LAD
New Contributor
LAD

Hi,

I'll test that, indeed I had that setup one dedicated/one inband port on management VLAN.

I'll keep you informed.

Thanks,

Regards

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.