Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor
TimS_1

MLXe & DHCPv6

Hey All,

I'm currently working on building out our IPv6 environment on our MLXes.  IPv6 is working great so far, but for one subnet I need to enable DHCPv6 as it is our Testing network and they need to manage different options that are assigned to specific hosts.  I have a DHCP server with IPv6 on another subnet, but it doesn't not receive the DHCP relay (checked with packet capture).  It looks like the MLX isn't even relaying the request.  The MLX is able to ping the DHCP server's IPv6 address.  Below is the configuration on the interface.  Any ideas?

interface ve 311

port-name User-MOV5

ip address 10.159.50.2/23

ip helper-address 10.159.54.30

ip helper-address 172.21.61.240

ip helper-address 10.159.16.5

ipv6 address xxxx:xxxx:a0a:43::2/64

ipv6 nd managed-config-flag

ipv6 nd other-config-flag

ipv6 dhcp-relay-dest xxxx:xxxx:a0a:46::f

ip vrrp-extended vrid 11

backup priority 110 track-priority 20

ip-address 10.159.50.1

advertise backup

track-port ethernet 5/1

track-port ethernet 6/19

short-path-forwarding

activate

ipv6 vrrp-extended vrid 111

backup

ipv6-address xxxx:xxxx:a0a:43::1

advertise backup

track-port ethernet 5/1

activate

Super Contributor
mschipp

Re: MLXe & DHCPv6

Hi Tim,

The only thing I can think of is do; you have the IPv6 client having a gateway address of xxxx:xxxx:a0a:43::2/64 (IP address of VE 311)

There is only one line of code needed and you have that configured on the MLX.

Thanks

Michael.

Super Contributor
mschipp

Hi Tim,

This is all I can see in the config guide.

DHCP relay agent for IPv6

A client locates a DHCP server using a reserved, link-scoped multicast address. Direct communication between client and the server requires that they be attached by the same link. In some situations where ease-of-management, economy, and scalability are concerns, you can allow a DHCPv6 client to send a message to a DHCP server using a DHCPv6 relay agent. A DHCPv6 relay agent, which may reside on the client link, but is transparent to the client, relays messages between the client and the server.

When the relay agent receives a message, it creates a new relay-forward message, inserts the original DHCPv6 message, and sends the relay-forward message as the DHCP server.

Configuring DHCP for IPv6 relay agent

You can enable the DHCP for IPv6 relay agent function and specify the relay destination address

(i.e. the DHCP server) on an interface by entering this command at the interface level.

Brocade(config)# interface ethernet 2/3

Brocade(config-if-e10000-2/3)#ipv6 dhcp-relay-dest 2001::2

Syntax: ipv6 dhcp-relay-dest <ipv6-address>

Specify the <ipv6-address> as a destination address to which client messages are forwarded and which enables DHCP for IPv6 relay service on the interface. A maximum of 16 relay destination addresses may be entered.

It looks to me that you have it setup correctly.  What version of code are you running? (Show ver)

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor
TimS_1

Thanks Michael.  I found the same in the config guide.  I'm running on 5.2.0b and I've check the release notes for 5.3, but I don't see any fixes for DHCPv6.  I'm half tempted to upgrade just for the fun of it.

IronWare : Version 5.2.0bT163 Copyright (C) 1996-2009 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. Compiled on Sep 27 2011 at 16:56:32 labeled as xmr05200b

Thank. Tim

Super Contributor
mschipp

Hi Tim,

Then I suggest you give the TAC a call and see if 5.3 has a fix or it is a know bug or we are just missing something. To me the config looks correct.

Thanks

Michael.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.