Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

Issue with switchport not entering RSTP Designated/Forwarding Mode

The Hardware I'm using is a NetIron MLX Router with 15 blades.  Blade 14 is programmed to be on VLAN 36:

PORT-VLAN 36, Name 6th_Floor_Comp_Room, Priority Level0
L2 protocols : RSTP
Untagged Ports : 14/1 to 14/20

Right now I have servers on ports 14/2, and 14/4.  I'm trying to connect a new server on 14/10.   When I connect the copper cable the outside light turns green but the switchport remains down:

GigabitEthernet14/10 is down, line protocol is down
Hardware is GigabitEthernet, address is 000c.dbe9.5f00 (bia 000c.dbe9.6111)
Configured speed auto, actual unknown, configured duplex fdx, actual unknown
Member of L2 VLAN ID 36, port is untagged, port state is Disabled
STP configured to ON, Priority is level0, flow control enabled

Looking at the RSTP status the port is not going into DESIGNATED/FORWARDING status:

14/10 128 20000     F   T    DISABLED   DISABLED   0         0000000000000000

I've tried entering "rstp admin-edge-port" on 14/10 but it doesn't have any effect.  When I try to connect the server into 14/2 or 14/4 it works perfectly.  All ports have identical configs:

!

interface ethernet 14/2
enable
!

interface ethernet 14/4
enable
!

interface ethernet 14/10
enable

!

Why would it work on 14/2 or 14/4, but not 14/10?  I've tried all the other free ports on this blade and the result is the same - it doesn't work.  Am I missing some hidden RSTP config to force it into designated/forwarding?  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Brocade Moderator

Re: Issue with switchport not entering RSTP Designated/Forwarding Mode

Have you tried to adimin the port down and then admin up.

interface ethernet 14/10 disable

show interface ethernet 14/10

interface ethernet 14/10 enable

Does this have a SFP? If yes then try to reseat the SFP.

If this does not clear the port, I would contact TAC and open a case.

Sincerely

Bill

Any and all information provided by me is for entertainment value and should not be relied upon as a guaranteed solution or warranty of merchantability. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a concern about data loss, or network disconnection, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, Please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".
New Contributor

Thanks.  I've tried disabling/enabling and the result is the same.  I'm wondering if there's just something wrong with the switch :/  Unfortunately I can't open a TAC case since my company didn't buy support from Brocade.

Brocade Moderator

Ok. Try a few other trouble shooting actions:

1) Move a working connection to the one in question using the same cable and optics from the working port to the non. Does it work?

2) Move the non working connection to a working one using the same cable and optics from the non working port to the working. Does it work?

This should isolate the port, optic and cable.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Any and all information provided by me is for entertainment value and should not be relied upon as a guaranteed solution or warranty of merchantability. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a concern about data loss, or network disconnection, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, Please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".
New Contributor

I've moved the working server's cable to 14/10 (the non-working port), and also every other port on Blade 14... doesn't work on any.  All ports are identically configured.  When I moved the cable in 14/10 to 14/2 or 14/4 (the only working ports) it works perfectly.  So my problem is that only 14/2 and 14/4 are working.  None of the other ports on the blade will work.

Brocade Moderator

I highly recommend you open a TAC case. Even if you have to pay for 1 case.

Bill

Brocade Moderator

It could well be a faulty blade if the ports are all configured the same and only two come up.  Is this a blade that has always been installed or is it second user?

I have seen strange things if the FPGA software on the line card is not consistent with the IronWare image, but nothing like this.

You can check this...

show version slot 14

Towards the bottom of the output, you should see some statements showing whether the FPGA images are Valid (compatible with the IronWare)

eg

IronWare : Version 5.6.0gT177 Copyright (c) 1996-2013 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc.
Compiled on Aug 27 2015 at 23:30:30 labeled as xmlp05600g
 (7503085 bytes) from Primary
FPGA versions:
Valid PBIF Version = 4.02, Build Time = 8/26/2013 14:30:00

Valid XPP Version = 1.01, Build Time = 9/6/2013 14:17:00

Steve

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.