Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

Is it still called Stacking if you're connecting two ICX 7250 without using the fiber ports?

I've got an ICX 6610 and I want to hang two 7250s off it.  The first one is connected using the 10GB SFPs.  I don't have the 10GB licenses for connecting the second switch yet so I want to connect the second 7250 to the first using the copper ports in the 1/1/1 to 1/1/24 range.

I tried to Google the answer but all I can find are explanations on how to stack the two using the 1/2/1 to 1/2/8 ports.

I thought it would be easy to connect two ports that are configured the same (dual-mode **filtered**) but that got me a BPDU error that disabled the port.

Any suggestions?

Brocade Moderator

Re: Is it still called Stacking if you're connecting two ICX 7250 without using the fiber ports?

Hello,

On ICX 7250 ,Stacking Ports are 1/2/1 through 1/2/8. Other ports can't be used for Stacking. Hopefully this addresses your first concern,

The reason the port went into disabled cause the switch detected a loop giving that they have the same config and connected to the same switch. If you want to have both ports forwarding, you need to configure them as a LAG aka (Trunk).

Please refer to the Guide below for Link Aggregation configuration.

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/configuration-guide/FI_08030_L2/ 

Regards,

Os

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .
Contributor

Re: Is it still called Stacking if you're connecting two ICX 7250 without using the fiber ports?

Sorry, still not getting it.

What I want to do is

6610 --- 7250a

|

------- 7250b

The 6610 to 7250a works fine (two 10GB SFPs).  I can't connect the 6610 to the 7250b the same way because I don't have the licenses to activate both 10GB SFPs at the moment and I don't have any 1GB SFPs to use temporarily.

So I'm trying for

6610 --- 7250a --- 7250b

using cat6 for the 7250a - 7250b connection.  Both 7250s are configured the same (except for IP).  All the copper ports on both switches are tagged for all our vlans.  I assumed I could connect two of the copper ports making sure both were dual-mode **filtered** for the same vlan but that's when one of the ports errored out.

I just want some way to use the 7250b switch until the 10GB licenses comes through and I can connect it directly with the 6610.  Suggestions?

Thanks again.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I appologize that I am not understanding fully what you want to do.

Part of my problem for example is that I do not know what model of the various ICX switches you have.  I guess with the ICX-7250 units they are all about the same asside from the number of ports.  That said, when I think of 6610's I think of the ICX-6610-24F units we have at work, but you may well have the 6610-24(P) or 48(P); I have no way of knowing.

I understand that the 6610's all have SFP+ ports, and you connected your 7250a swich via two (2) SFP+ modules (probably 10GBaseSR or 10GBaseLR and a 50/125 multimode or singlemode fiber patchcord respectively).

IIf you have the plain 6610-24, 6610-24p, 6610-48, or 6610-48p, you can simply use a copper ethernet cable and connect the other off the 6610.  In theory technically a crossover is appropriate, but they have autocrossover detection, and this has not been an issue in almost a decade.

All that said, there is absolutely no reason you could not connect (via copper) your 7250b to your 7250a which is connected via a 10GB SFP to the 6610 (if you don't have them both connected to the 6610) .  That should be perfectly fine just don't loop it or make a ring because you are NOT stacking in these configureations.

If you connect one switch to the other using redundant (or multiple) links, you will need to setup a LAG or spanning-tree will put a network interface into err-disabled state.

I am not sure what you mean by "dual-mode filtered".  What dual-mode does is allow the port to pass both tagged and untagged traffic.  That is that it will pass traffic with an 802.1q TAG on the layer-2 Ethernet_II frames in any of the VLAN's that interface is "tagged."  It will also pass UNTAGGED traffic to the default-vlan OR whatever is specifically specified.  For all intents and purposes dual-mode is the same as what some other vendors call a native VLAN.  Any given frame can have only one VLAN (or have the field blank "untagged")

If on all three switches you could do a "show fdp neighbors" and paste that here for us to know your topology... AND pate all three configureations, that would be greatly helpful.

Brocade Moderator

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Connecting two ports ,that share the same VLAN configuration, to the same switch will cause a loop. STP is taking one of the two ports down, Blocking, to stop broadcast storms.

Have you tried disconnecting the working connection to see if the disabled one kicks in?

As mentioned in my previous post, To have the two ports up and sending traffic, they need to act as one, which can be accomplished by Link Aggregation. You need to add the two ports to a Trunk , aka a LAG in Brocade Terms, on both 7250a and 7250b.

I have forwarded a link to the Guide explaining how to create link aggregation both statically and dynamically. However, you may raise a case with Brocade Support and ask for implementation assistance if required.

I hope this have helped making it more clear.

Regards,

Os

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .
Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks very much.  It's still a bit over my head but your explanation helped a lot.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.