10-01-2012 12:25 AM
I am in a process of performing ISL Trunking between three brocade DS300 switches.
Each subordinate switch will be connected to master switch via two cables
Switch A is master and B and C are subordinate
NOTE: There is an internal chassis switch connected to C which we will term as D. This switch is already ISL with C and will be removed during the activity.
All the switches are in production and each switch has a active mirror running simultaneously. So no Impact as such as multipathing is enabled.
1. Take configuration backup of all switches involved in activity.
2. Remove cable from switch D before proceeding with activity.
3. Change the Domain ID using the configure command
4. save the settings
5. Disable the switches.
6. Clear configuration from switch B and C
7. Make the switch A as master and rest of the switches as subordinate.
9. First Switch A to be connected to C
10. Enable the switch.
11. Issue the fabricShow command to verify that the new switch is in the fabric.
12. Then connect A to B
13. Enable the switch.
14. Issue the fabricShow command to verify that the new switch is in the fabric.
15. After successful ISL connection b/w three switches connect C to D.
16. Check the configuration in both the switches with cfgshow and effective configuration should be Config_Switch1 in case of FABRIC1 Switches.
17. Verify the devices with switchshow, nsshow cmd outputs.
18. Create new alias & zones in Principal sw i.e. A (which were already there in other switches B and C)
19. Enable effective configuration.and effective configuration should be Config_Switch1 in case of FABRIC1 Switches.
20. Install the license for trunking.
21. After installation of license one need to enable and disable trunking/ISL ports.
22. Check for ISL R_RDY mode on ports should be disables—portcfgislmode.
23. On identified ports enable the trunk mode option.
Now I need to create two Trunk groups between A and B and A and C in which I require help as I am not aware how to do.
If there is anything missing or anything which is required to be changed. Kindly assist.
Message was edited by: Mudasir Amin
10-01-2012 02:35 AM
Hi, trunks should be self-forming. You want the ports to be in the same port group, but that part looks fine.
Perhaps it'd be good to install the license before restarting the switches and enable trunking if needed.
Make sure you have fabric license on the switches too.
For principal switch you may want to investigate the fabricprincipal CLI command to set priority and have lower DID on the switch you want to have as principal.
For less downtime for the servers you could create the relevant zones in Switch A zoning database beforehand.
10-01-2012 06:21 AM
I am OK with Guldmyr answer, especially about his proposition to install TRK license as soon as possible (step 5 of your list, for example)
I just want to give some precision about principal/secondary switch :
1/ principal switch will be the one with the lowest wwn, not the lowest D_ID
2/ From my point of view, it really does not matter which switch is elected as principal. But maybe someone could have a different opinion !