Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

ICX SFP Nightmare

Hi guys,

Please help me out. I have connected 2 10GB non-brocade SFP modules to the SFP ports. Issue is that I did not know that I was misinformed that 2  10GB ports can be used without adapting a licence. Anyway, I researched and found out that the ports are on default 1 GB but can be updated to 10GB after acquiring a licence. Anyway, the problem is that the ports are not coming up as 1 GB either! am i missing something here ?

Regards,

Faith

Frequent Contributor

Re: ICX SFP Nightmare

fmopiyo,

Its recommended to use Brocade-branded optics in all Brocade IP platforms as non-brocade optics have not been tested with these switches. So if you have Brocade branded optics, its better to go ahead and use that instead of non-brocade SFPs.

Occasional Contributor

Hello Deepti,

I tried using brocade 1 GB SFPs instead, but there was no activity on the ports. The Brocade switches also identified the non-brocade SFPs so am guessing that compatibility is not the issue here.

Regards,

Faith

Frequent Contributor

Hi fmopiyo,

I am assuming you're referring to Brocade ICX6450 switch?  By default, two uplink ports comes in ERR-DISABLED state, you should be able to enable those 2 ports & use them as 1G uplinks with no license installed. Not sure why you are encountering this issue. Best bet here is to ping TAC, probably it needs some further troubleshooting. 

Occasional Contributor

Am refering to the ICX6610. I can see that the optics are inserted but the physical port goes to blocking state

ICX6610-24 Router#Port 1/3/1 optics inserted, wait for Phy port initialization...

Port 1/3/2 optics inserted, wait for Phy port initialization...

Occasional Contributor

Got it working!!

speed duplex 10G did the trick (after getting a licence)

Frequent Contributor

Thankyou for posting the update Faith. Great to know that its working now.

Best

Deepti

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.