Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

ICX 7450-48

Hello, 

I need some basic help, I am new to brocade and very rusty with my my cisco skills.

I have for the most part setup the swtich very basic.

super user

web-management access 

and set the ip and default gateway on the switch with is also in stack mode with another 7450.

I can connect a device to any port of either swotch  and i pull an ip from my dhcp server and can access network resources as well as the intenet.

However for the life of me i cannot ping the assigned ip of the switch stack  from any device on the network, nor in the CLI thru the console port can i ping anything on the network not even the gateway.

Not sure why, and since i cannot ping it i therefore cannot access the web interface to setup vlans and dhcp pools.

any help would be appreicated. 

Occasional Contributor

Re: ICX 7450-48

I'm in the same boat.  You look a little further than I though.  I need to set the VLAN's still.  I need to set the Management IP again.  I set an IP in global config, but since I don't know if that will work on the management port, I'll blow it away and specify the IP on the management port.

Occasional Contributor

Great Im glad that im not the only one having troubles with this.

I am confused as to the ip, I've seen where some users use the following code 

ip address 172.16.20.248/24

default-gateway 172.16.20.1

web-management ethernet 1/1/1

create ssl blah blah

So what this is saying is that they only thing that can reach the web-interdace is something connected to that port?

My question still stands if the stack has an ip assigned to it and the correct gateway then it should be pingable from any other device on the network. that way I can also create ssh keys to be able to console in from any device on the network.

Am I correct or just totally way off the mark?

Occasional Contributor

I can't help you.  I'm pretty sure in CRisco-world you have to enable ICMP to make it work... I started networking working on Foundry gear, so I put in the IP address in global config like I did 15 years ago (I'm normally a PBX tech).  After reading the "FastIron Ethernet Switch Administration Guide, 8.0.00a" I realized that I should have put that info into the management interface.  Now I need to go into the lab and change it.

Occasional Contributor

Posting my config, yes i have not enable web management because i want to get it to ping and reply to a ping.

ICX7450-48 Switch>sh running-config
Current configuration:
!
ver 08.0.20T211
!
stack unit 1
module 1 icx7450-48-port-management-module
module 2 icx7400-xgf-4port-40g-module
module 3 icx7400-qsfp-1port-40g-module
module 4 icx7400-qsfp-1port-40g-module
priority 128
stack-port 1/3/1 1/4/1
stack unit 2
module 1 icx7450-48-port-management-module
module 2 icx7400-xgf-4port-40g-module
module 3 icx7400-qsfp-1port-40g-module
module 4 icx7400-qsfp-1port-40g-module
stack-port 2/3/1
stack enable
stack mac cc4e.248c.8940
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
aaa authentication web-server default local
enable super-user-password .....
enable user disable-on-login-failure 10
ip address 192.168.1.248 255.255.255.0
no ip dhcp-client enable
ip default-gateway 192.168.1.1
!
username admin password .....
!
!
hitless-failover enable
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
end

ICX7450-48 Switch>

Occasional Contributor

From the guide:

CLI Commands for use with the management port The following CLI commands can be used with a management port.

To display the current configuration, use the show running-config interface management command.

Syntax:

show running-config interface management num

device(config-if-mgmt)# ip addr 10.44.9.64/24

device(config)# show running-config interface management 1

interface management 1

ip address 10.44.9.64 255.255.255.0

To display the current configuration, use the show interfaces management command. Syntax: show interfaces management num device(config)# show interfaces management 1

Occasional Contributor

Please let me know if that works 

Occasional Contributor

Anyone please help i am pulling my hair and i dont have much hair!

I have factory reset the swtiches and started all over and still nothing

I have read and read and read, all the guides.  I do not want to use the management port, the switch is currenlty in L2 and from all of the reading i have done when the global ip address  is set all "in-band" ports should access the web-management, telnet, or ssh

Furthermore I cannot ping the switch from any other device on  the same subnet and I cannot ping anything from the switch console on the network.. I even have a laptop connectedto the brocade, i can surf the intetner, ping a server on the network but cannot ping the switch. I have not enable the web interface as i am still trying to ping the switch.

I have posted my config.

anyone

Occasional Contributor

Don't know you exact code version but Maybe a bug in the code? Try a different code version.

I've been foundry for about 10 years, cli only. I saw the same problem you have on 8.0.2.0. Moved the configured to management and no problems connecting. We install the router code so we don't configure the same after upgrade.
You want to get to 8.0.2.0cb at least, we had dhcp issues with the earlier 8.0.2 code. I didn't bother opening a ticket, first thing they'll say is upgrade to latest code.

Occasional Contributor

I'm sorry I don't have an update yet.  I expect a callback later today and I can/will test my setup when it's ready.  I have to ask though... Why is ping so important?  As a general security rule, I was taught that you DON'T want your infrastructure to respond to ping. 

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.