Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

ICX 6610-24 Trial by Fire Config

Good Morning Brocade Community,

So I told my boss that I would like to learn about networking and he is giving me a trial by fire. He recently purchased a stack of 6610 switches and wants me to get them on the network.

So far I've figured out how to unstack and and clear the startup configuration. I'm running the layer 3 software and have configured the management port with an IP address of 10.1.1.**filtered**. The default VLAN is 1. The port that it is plugged into is untagged on 1.

From inside the 6610, I can ping my core switch. I can also see the Mac address of the 6610 on the port of the switch that I'm plugged into. I cannot  ping the 6610 from my computer.

My boss thinks it is hillarious to watch me flounder and try to figure this out. He said that he'll do it for me, but he won't show me what he did to fix it and I have to beg. I feel that I'm so close, and I'll be damned if I beg for him to fix it for me. 

Please help me stick it to my boss.

Any help is truly appreciated.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor

Re: ICX 6610-24 Trial by Fire Config

Is your workstation plugged into the management port? If not, you will not be able to ping that address if I am not mistaken, as you cannot tag or untag it into your VLAN. If you simply want to show you can ping the new switch, plug your workstation into the management port, IP it in the same subnet, and you should be good from a 'sticking' standpoint if that is all you want to accomplish.If you leave your workstation in its current port, you will either need a loopback or a VE configured on the switch. Also make sure your workstation port is untagged into the VLAN (but I believe from what you wrote this is already accomplished).

New Contributor

Thank you for your help! 

I ran a cable from the wall into port 24

Then I ran a cable from port 1 into the management port

I then plugged a laptop into port 13 

From that laptop, I was able to ping it and access the web management port

The only problem is that I cant access or ping it from a wireless laptop on the network 

The wireless is on VLAN-240 and the port feeding the switch is untagged on VLAN-1 

Any Ideas?

Thank you in advance

Chris

Frequent Contributor

You need to know the rest of the network and setup routing outside of the switch, just because you plug it in to a port doesn't mean it's on the network.

You would have to get on the switch on the other end that you are plugged into and setup routing between the two, usually there would be an interior gateway protocol such as OSPF that handles routing on the network. I wouldn't use the default VLAN 1 for anything.

Occasional Contributor

At this point we may need to know more about your network. Do you have routing set up (OSPF, BGP, etc)? How are your switches connected to your core? I was trying to visualize your reply, but just couldn't get there.

New Contributor

Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you for all of your help. I started to look into the routing scheme and I'm finding out that my boss doesn't quite know as much as I thought he did.  I'm still not sure what we use here, but I bought a book to read for the CCNA. 

It turned out that I needed to make my subnet 255.255.0.0 Instead of 255.255.255.0 to talk between our VLANs.

Oh well at least now I know.

I appreciate all of your responses.

Chris

Occasional Contributor

Happy to hear you were able to get what you needed working.

As far as reading material, Brocade has some free PDFs you can download. A good starter is the 'BCNE In A Nutshell' (this is their study guide for the BCNE certification). Search either the Brocade portal or Google for the title, and you should find it. I believe the current version is 2012.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.