Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

ICX-6450 and VMWare

Hello All --

I'm up to my armpits in a new VMware deployment (version 5.1) and have been chasing my tail looking for a clear answer to what seems to me to be a relatively common issue. Here's the scenario:

I need to be able to connect VMs that share the same ESXi host to several different existing VLANs. I only have 2 physical NICs in each host. One is dedicated to admin and storage traffic. The second needs to handle the VM traffic. This seems pretty straightforward - inside the ESXi host I create a vSwitch and assign VLAN IDs to port groups. The physical NIC should carry traffic tagged for the VLANs to and from the larger network.

But when I hit the Brocade world things get all fuzzy: Our 12 (or so) ICS-6450s are edge switches that are connected by 10Gbit fiber links to a SX-1500 core switch. At the core switch the fiber uplinks are all routed and the uplinks are tagged so our VLANs are continuous across all of the switches. So far, so good. But when I add in the ESXi hosts to the mix things get confusing. It's obvious that the edge switch ports the ESXi hosts  are connected to constitute another stage of uplink, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to set them up to allow the ESXi internal VLANs to be a part of their similarly numbered VLANs in the Brocade system. Right now we assign the switch port to one of the VLANs in the 6450 and  use a single vlan-oblivious port group in the host. This is a very active test lab, though, and that's not going to do the job for long. 

I have the feeling I'm overthinking this, but the absence of any clear examples in either company's blogospheres or documentation has only served to stir up already muddy waters. This isn't a bleeding edge configuration -- somebody's got to have already made this work. Any and all advice is appreciated - help me make light where I'm currently only making heat

Robert      

N/A

Re: ICX-6450 and VMWare

You have to set up the VLANs you use in ESXi on the switch(es) as well. For example if you use VLAN 42 in ESXi, but there is no VLAN 42 configured on the switch, it won't forward frames tagged with VLAN ID 42.

Also, the switch port connected to the NIC handling the VM traffic has to be configured as a trunk.

Hope that helps.

Occasional Contributor

Re: ICX-6450 and VMWare -- Follow up-

OK. I figured this out (Woo Hoo!)

In the ESXi host I set up 2 vSwitches, 1 for vKernel management traffic and the other for VM I/O traffic (each is attached to a separate NIC).  I set up Port Groups on the I/O vSwitch and assigned each port group a VLAN number. On the ICX-6450 I set the port the I/O switch's NIC connects to as a tagged port and assigned it to the VLANs defined for the port groups. When a VM is attached to a port group it automatically becomes a member of the VLAN the port group is assigned to.

Robert

Re: ICX-6450 and VMWare

you can try (sadeem .io) Cloud Management Platform with Amazing Features: The first fully integrated cloud panel enabling service providers to sell cloud on their servers with essential features in a simple to use interface Cloud management platform. its Simple and easy to use , Powerful web application, wrapped in elegant ui, , Manage billing and invoicing, Charge your customers for their cloud resource utilization

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.