Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Visitor

How do i get my switches to log informational messages to a syslog server

how do I see what they are set to log already? the show log feature shows me level codes that don't seem to be in use anywhere. 

Brocade Moderator

Re: How do i get my switches to log informational messages to a syslog server

Hi,

The show logging command show all messages that are logged and also what type of mesages they are and which messages are being logged, right at the begginging

ICX# show logging

Syslog logging: enabled (0 message dropped, 0 flushesm 0 overruns)

Buffer logging: level ACDMEINW, 26 messages logged

level code: A=alert C=critical D=debugging M=emergency E=error

I=informational N=notification W=warning

So it is logging messages ACDMEINW

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
New Contributor

Mick.Day,

Is there a way to expand the number of messages logged or the buffer size or the amount of time the log runs during the capture?

Thank you

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

The number of messages that the buffer will hold can be configured as follows:

ICX(config)# logging buffered <number>

See link, alternatively send log to a syslog server where all log messages can be stored and then viewed

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

To log to a Syslog Server (i.e. Kiwi)

ICX(config)# logging host <IP of Syslog Server>

That said, the switch must be able to reach that server, so you will need the IP address configured and if it is on a different network the default gateway.

ICX(config)#ip address <IP> <Mask>   (or IP/#bits)

ICX(config)#ip default-gateway <IP of Gateway>

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.