Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

How do I identify which generation my SX800 chassis are?

I need to update the IOS on my chassis switches, but don't know which generation they are between 1, 2 and 3. How do I determine that?

Frequent Contributor

Re: How do I identify which generation my SX800 chassis are?

The chassis are not generational, the line cards and management modules are.

Brocade makes it seem confusing, but it isn't with the SX Chassis. Whatever version of code you are on will tell you your module. If you are running any code version below 8.0 you have a Gen 1 or Gen 2 management module (they won't run 8.X code), if you are running 8.0 or higher you are running the Gen 3 module (only supported in 8.X).

It does become more complicated with line cards, but if you are running 8.X your linecards already are supported. If you are running 7.X you'd have to replace the management modules anyway to be able to go to 8.X, at that point you would want to verify that your line cards support the Gen 3 modules.

Occasional Contributor

Re: How do I identify which generation my SX800 chassis are?

Thank you. I've got Image SXR07400C, so I guess my newest update would be 7400p, and we're second gen. I suspected that was it, but wasn't sure.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.