Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor
david.joyce

Flash code, boot code, and the upgrade process

Hello all -

Is it necessary to upgrade the boot code along with the firmware on flash when changing the major version?  While downloading an image for an upgrade I'm about to undertake I noticed that each flash image has a corresponding boot image, leading me to conclude that the boot code is linked to the flash code and that I will need to upgrade both.

On the other hand, this strikes me as unusual since every other platform I work on (Juniper, CIsco, Force10 etc) has completely independent boot and OS images.  With the boot loader changing infrequently.

The documentation is not clear on this point so far as I can tell and since this involves a boot code I thought I should ask folks with more brocade experience than I have...  which is likely every one of you.  :-)

All the best,

dj

Occasional Contributor
shayne1

Re: Flash code, boot code, and the upgrade process

My $0.02 is that if your boot loader doesn't match the current available version, then yes an upgrade should be considered.  Not to sound flippant, but if the dev's didn't see a need in upgrading boot loaders, they wouldn't compile them.

The boot loader and the OS are independent, and I don't see boot loaders changing that often.

Of course I don't know which product sets you're referring to but on the basic IP side, it's not really a thing IMO.

-s

Occasional Contributor
shayne1

Here's a better reason you'll need to upgrade boot loader.  As software is written and compiled with new capabilities, the package gets larger as you might expect.  However, consider that there is only so much storage on the device so they have to get it compressed and the boot loader is what knows to decompress the OS.  If the compression changes, then the boot loader does too.

New Contributor
david.joyce

Apologies for not answering sooner.  I'd mark both your answers correct if I could and I would say your .02 was worth a dime for clarity and precision.  Becuase confession is good for the soul, I will tell you that had I looked more closely I would have seen that it was not a different boot loader with each rev of code it's the same boot-loader posted with each version.   It would have been strange indeed if the boot loader had to chang *every* time the image changed.  But that's not what's happening and the source of my puzzlement was an illusion.   It's just good site organization coupled with my too hasty glance at the boot loaders.  I believe that's called an Id10T error in our business.

Thank you for your thoughtful answers and your time.   The upgrade went fine and I was reminded (yet again) that if I'm going to sweat the details I should pay attention to the details.

dj

Occasional Contributor
shayne1

I also had to go and so some searching the first time I saw the boot loader on each download.  Glad you are solid.

-s

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.