Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

FastIron Configuration Question

Can Brocade FastIron switches be configured to automatically pull their configuration from a central server? So someone can replace a failed switch and have the switch pull the configuration of the failed switch with little user input.

Maybe using Iron View?

Thank you,

Chris

Super Contributor

Re: FastIron Configuration Question

Hi Chris,

There is the DCP autoconfig option you could use here - See below.

Also both Ironview and the newer version, Brocade Network Manager can be used to push out configs and software images - though it is not automattic - you would add the device to Ironview (or let it discover it) then you would push out the config from the failed unit to the new unit.  Still very easy to do.

I also have customer of mine who have written their own SNMP scripts for provisioning new switches.  Anyway hope that helps.

DHCP Client-Based Auto-Configuration and Flash image update

DHCP Client-Based Auto-Configuration allows Layer 2 and base Layer 3 devices to automatically obtain leased IP addresses through a DHCP server, negotiate address lease renewal, and obtain flash image and configuration files.

DHCP Client-Based Auto-Configuration occurs as follows.

1. The IP address validation and lease negotiation enables the DHCP client (a Brocade Layer 2 or  Base-Layer 3 device) to automatically obtain and configure an IP address, as follows:
    1. One lease is granted for each Layer 2 device. if the device is configured with a static IP address, the DHCP Auto-Configuration feature is automatically disabled.
    2. For a base Layer 3 devices, one leased address is granted (per device) to the interface that first receives a response from the DHCP server.
    3. If auto-update is enabled, the TFTP flash image is downloaded and updated. The device compares the filename of the requested flash image with the image stored in flash. If the filenames are different, then the device will download the new image from a TFTP server, write the downloaded image to flash, then reload the device or stack.
    4. In the final step, TFTP configuration download and update, the device downloads a configuration file from a TFTP server and saves it as the running configuration

Thanks

Michael.

Contributor

Michael,

Thank you for your reply!!!

What components are necessary for DHCP Client-Based Auto-Configuration and Flash image update to be setup and get operational?

Thank you!

Chris

Contributor

Michael,

Please disregard my last question. I saw in the documentation how to configure this feature.

I do however have another question. If you have a location with multiple switches that you would like to use DHCP Client Based Auto Configuration for, how would each switch pull its unique configuration?

Thank you,

Chris

Super Contributor

Hi Chris,

Below is the list of filenames the switch will look for.  Given that you have multipull switches in the same area, then you would need to use one of the two options that use the MAC address (have highlighted in bold)

The device requests the configuration files from the TFTP server by asking for filenames in the

following order:

• bootfile name provided by the DHCP server (if configured)
  • hostnameMAC-config.cfg, for example:

FGS624p-Switch001b.ed5e.4d00-config.cfg

• hostnameMAC.cfg, for example:

FGS624p-Switch001b.ed5e.4d00.cfg

• foundry.cfg (applies to FGS and FLS devices), for example:

foundry.cfg

• brocade.cfg (applies to all devices, for example:

brocade.cfg

• <fcx | fgs | fls>-<switch | router>.cfg (applies to Layer 2 or base Layer 3 devices), for

example:

fgs-switch.cfg(FGS Layer 2)

fls-switch.cfg(FLS Layer 2)

fgs-router.cfg(FGS Base-Layer 3)

fls-router.cfg(FLS Base Layer 3)

fcx-switch.cfg(FCX Layer 2)

fcx-router.cfg(FCX Layer 3)

If the device is successful in contacting the TFTP server and the server has the configuration file, the files are merged. If there is a conflict, the server file takes precedence. If the device is unable to contact the TFTP server or if the files are not found on the server, the TFTP part of the configuration download process ends.

Thanks Michael.

Contributor

Michael,

So I would insert the MAC address of the new or replacement switch in the appropriate config file name?

Thank you,

Chris

Super Contributor

Hi Chris,

You need to use the new (replacement) switch MAC address in the filename.

Thanks

Michael.

Super Contributor

Also I would highly recommend that you look at the new Ironview called Brocade Network Adviser.

see this link http://www.brocade.com/services-support/drivers-downloads/software-evaluations/index.page 

You can download the eval by following the above link.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.