Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor
s.vandeklundert

FLS 648 layer 3 versus layer 2

Hello,

we have an FLS stack running with layer 3 code. In the past this was necessary, however, due to recent expansions, the gateway now resides on other switches.

I wanted to investigate if there were benefits to rebooting into the layer 2 code. I can imagine this is lighter software for the stack and it would be able to handle more stp calculations etc.

However, I am unable to find the cons and pros of the different images. Has anyone else found any offical documentation regarding the differences (other than the Layer 3 features, or lack of in the layer 2 code).

Also, does anyone have any real world experience that could make for recommendaing either layer 2 or layer 3 code for a stack that is only involved in processing layer 2 traffic?

Thanks.

Super Contributor
mschipp

Re: FLS 648 layer 3 versus layer 2

Hi

As the layer 3 is done is hardware there is no advantage of dropping back to layer 2.  From a CPU point of view the switch without sFlow should be sitting at ~2% - you will see the same for the layer 2 code.  Also as you have tested the layer 3 and have stability I would say you should stay the way you are.   You never know when somebody comes along and asks you to do a layer 3 vlan that is only going to stay local to the switch  -this way you can do so if needed.

The STP calc will not effect either code (l2 or l3) more then the other.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Michael.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.