Ethernet Switches & Routers

md1
New Contributor

FCX optical monitoring in 7.200a

Hi all,

after upgrade to latest SW, optical monitoring seem to have stopped working on FCX switches. The optics tried are spares from Foundry times, supporting optical monitoring just fine in SW 6.0.

Is this a new Brocade policy, that optical monitoring for ex-Foundry optics is disabled in software and the customers are supposed to buy new optics from Brocade ?!

Have they implemented software lock not only for 3-rd party optics, but now also for ex-Foundry ones?!

Super Contributor

Re: FCX optical monitoring in 7.200a

I think they have disabled E1MG-XX for optical monitoring as these optics should not support optical monitoring.

Foundry supported optical monitoring codes are E1MG-SX-OM and E1MG-LX-OM.  Over time some of the later E1MG-SX (read non -OM) did have the OM capability but the most did not.  So to stop confussion they might of disbale OM for all SFP that report the non OM code.

IF however the units you do have have the -om on the product code, then log a TAC ticket as they should be supported.

Thanks

Michael.

md1
New Contributor

Thanks, that might indeed be the case, since in BigIron release notes I found this:

Summary of Enhancements in Release 02.6.00

Beginning with release 0 2.6.00, Digital Optical Monitoring will only support newly qualified 1Gigabit optics. Digital Optical Monitoring for previous 1Gigabit optics that do not include "OM" after the model numbers will not be able to use this feature.

Let me say that I never felt confused by the fact, that optical monitoring was working fine for us and I definitely don't consider this change to be an "enhancement".

Crippling pluggable functionalities by software locks is highly customer-unfriendly, especially when other major vendors don't block at all or at least provide hidden command to unblock also 3rd party pluggables. It's quite sad that Brocade decided to go down this route, since Foundry was always promoting support for open standards and multivendor networks.

Super Contributor

Hi MD1,

Please remember that I do not work for Brocade

I do not think any loss of functionality can be call an enhancement either.

However I can understand why they wold do this.

Say a customer calls Brocade support and says "I have two SFP both with product code E1MG-SX, one works for OM and one does not.  It must be faulty.   I have support so please replace."

This would leed to Brocade having to replace a WHOLE lot of optics that where never sold as having OM capabilites.  Note the -OM product code where sold at a higher cost then non OM versions when both where added to the price list.

Just my 2c worth.

Thanks

Michael.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.