Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

FCX - CPU Issues with PBR

Running an FCX stack of 2 switches, 7.0.0.1 firmware.

Quite a simple config, 16 virtual interfaces with ip policy route-map with 3 entries that matches traffic to one of 3 standard access-lists and routes to one of 3 gateways.

The switch is handling less than 1 GB of traffic throughput, however CPU usage is very high, averaging 75% and frequently spiking into the 90s, occasionally pegging at 99% for short periods.

doing a 'show processes cpu' does not tally, everything is idle except IP which sits between 20-25%.

The CPU load is real as we do occasionally lose packets and suffer degraded performance when the CPU hits 99%. PBR is the only feature we are using, all advanced routing features are off, no other access-lists applied, sflow disabled, very plain config otherwise.

I realize 7.0.0.1 is quite old, I will certainly be upgrading. Is there any thought to whether this will help or is PBR really sucha terrible memory hog? Also how can I get accurate CPU usage accounting since the process table is not showing me what is actually eating the CPU?

Thanks for any help!

New Contributor

Re: FCX - CPU Issues with PBR

Upgrading to 7.3.0.0a has completely cleared up our problems. Swicth now runs at no more than 1% CPU utilization even during peak periods. What a difference!

Super Contributor

Re: FCX - CPU Issues with PBR

Hi prae,

Yes, there was a bug in the code re CPU (in general) and also spec to PBR. 7.3.00 is the support fix for the PBR issue (check the release notes).

Thanks

Michael.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.